Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2019, 11:41 PM

Default Apogee Symphony (MK1 and MK2) in Pro Tools HD mode. Low latency Monitoring?

Hi all.

I currently own and use the Apogee Symphony IO MK1 and am considering upgrading to the MK2.

My question relates to the device in "Pro Tools HD" mode. I use a hybrid setup with several Hardware inserts. Pro Tools native does not automatically compensate for the latency incurred when using hardware inserts (unless you have their hardware) so I am planning to use My Symphony in "Pro Tools HD" mode via an HD native thunderbolt device.

The question is this: When using the MK2 in Pro Tools mode am I still able to use apogee's "control" software to monitor with near zero latency? When switching my Symphony MK1 to Pro Tools HD mode, the Maestro mixer section disappears.

I'm hoping that I can use the MK2 in Pro Tools HD mode while also making use of the Apogee Control Mixer to monitor as I track.

Anyone out there using the Symphony with Pro Tools? any tips or advise? I've heard that the MK2's latency via thunderbolt is quite good but without Pro Tools HD mode I'm still dealing with Hardware insert latency.

Blake Henderson
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony (MK1 and MK2) in Pro Tools HD mode. Low latency Monitoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Henderson View Post
The question is this: When using the MK2 in Pro Tools mode am I still able to use apogee's "control" software to monitor with near zero latency? When switching my Symphony MK1 to Pro Tools HD mode, the Maestro mixer section disappears.

I'm hoping that I can use the MK2 in Pro Tools HD mode while also making use of the Apogee Control Mixer to monitor as I track.

Anyone out there using the Symphony with Pro Tools? any tips or advise? I've heard that the MK2's latency via thunderbolt is quite good but without Pro Tools HD mode I'm still dealing with Hardware insert latency.
I have the mk2 and can test this for you shortly. Usually I just use it in TB mode but I do have the HD option card installed just in case I need to take this box on the road
Old 02-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony (MK1 and MK2) in Pro Tools HD mode. Low latency Monitoring?

Yea it is possible, but without the control software you need to set it up through the touch-screen menu
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yea it is possible, but without the control software you need to set it up through the touch-screen menu
Thanks Jfreak.

Are you saying you have access to full “mixer” options? For instance, what if I wanted to send inputs 1-5 to the headphones and inputs 6 and 7 at half volume? Does the touch screen give you that much control?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 AM

Sorry, I didn't take it that far but I cannot see why not as the LLM mixer is already there. Have you read the manual? I must confess I haven't
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sorry, I didn't take it that far but I cannot see why not as the LLM mixer is already there. Have you read the manual? I must confess I haven't
I did read the manual actually. It only shows a monitoring screen where you can choose what is routed to the outputs and phones but it seems to be very minimal, maybe only allowing you to choose one channel per monitoring output. The manual really didn’t get detailed. Do you see a menu that shows a mixer view similar to the control software?

Thanks lot! The answer to these question stands between me and the MK2