How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Default PT9 and my Avid account

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from PT7.3 to the boxed version of PT9.

The problem is I'm travelling all over the place at the moment, so my dilemma is this:

Buy it in America - saving about £35 and get my mitts on the installation discs instantly, but then have to cart the box of discs around with me, and risk getting stung at customs when I'm next in the U.K.

or

Buy it in the U.K. - I'm in the U.S. the installers would be in the U.K. so hope I can then download the installers from my Avid account.

My old upgrades from PT6 through PT7.4 etc are in my account for download, so can anyone confirm that if I register a purchase of the boxed version of PT9, downloadable installers will be made available in my Avid account?

Presumably I can have someone in the U.K. give me the authorisation codes, or whatever ilok / Avid require to register it and put the asset on my ilok in America - or would my ilok need to physically be in the same place as the boxed version to authorise (i.e. inserting the SIM type chip that you used to find with some ilok authorisations)?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Re: PT9 and my Avid account

You do not need the box, but in order to actually properly authorize ProTools you need to have access to the iLok, your iLok account, and your AVID account at the same time.

If you do not have your iLok with you you cannot use Pro Tools 9.

We can perform an electronic authorization for you:

http://imsproav.com/main/Get-Pro-Tools-9-Here.html
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks,

yes I have my iLok, and can access my iLok & Avid accounts, but the installer discs etc would be back in the U.K. - assuming I decide to buy from the U.K. versus from you in America.

I'd much rather own the boxed version than the download only (are you guys still running the discount for the download - that I'm probably not allowed to mention - from users blog that I probably shouldn't mention????)?

So, what you're saying seems to infer that once it is registered, and the asset is deposited into my iLok account, that PT9 downloadable installers would be available in my Avid account. Is that correct?

Cheers!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Yes- in fact the discs are pretty much useless- you want to install the 9.0.1 Full Installer anyway... which is available after you register your software (which you need your ilok User ID for...)

and thumbs up on the blog thingy you referred to ; )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Buy the download version then order the DVD replacement DVD's from Avid they only cost $15.00. If you live in some parts of the world it could cost a lot for the bandwidth to get all the installers
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys, that's all very useful info.

Do the replacement discs include everything the boxed version contains, except the software activation card?

I'm used to the installer disc being obsolete before I've even opened the package, and having to download a new one, but it would be nice to not have to download all the bundled software and audio loops etc.

I take it the replacement disc includes all that, what about the printed paper installation guide and what's new document (I know they never include the actual printed user manual any more) it always nice to have a physical copy to read rather than a pdf.

Just need to weigh up my options on a suitable replacement for my existing laptop (portability vs PT9 compatibility).

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Thanks guys, that's all very useful info.

Do the replacement discs include everything the boxed version contains, except the software activation card?
No activation card needed. The license is placed on an ILok, only way to get it as far as I know. The backup disk are just that, physical copies of what you could download. If you have a decent internet connection you have no need of them and they can be downloaded at any time.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Im a little confused with the pt 9 authorization. If I buy a system 2nd hand, do I need them to transfer the license via ilok?

If we do the digi transfer form, who sends me my license?

Once I got a license does it remain in my ilok acount to put it on a ilok?

And.....lol

If I put it on an ilok is it stuck on that ilok for good?.....sorry I have tried searching thats how I found this thread.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
and thumbs up on the blog thingy you referred to ; )

Hi Eddie,

just trying to pull the trigger on this, but the discount code isn't working.

has the code changed? (I could post the one I've got here, but that may be a violation).

Would you mind emailing it to me using the email address in my profile (assuming you can't post it here)

Cheers!