Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-23-2002, 12:52 PM

Default ADAT to 001, and back to ADAT? HELP!!

Hey guys, I will be putting some guitar tracks to a song that a friend of mine is mixing, he uses ADATS, and what our plan is:
For him to bring down the ADAT with a stereo mix of his song, I will then transfer that tune to protools, then record the guitar tracks.

We would like to put the guitar tracks back on to ADAT then he can take them home to remix with the original tracks of his stereo mix.
Is this possible(im sure it is), but I need to know the easiest steps to do this.
Thanks for your help guys!!!

chad
Old 01-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Avid

Default Re: ADAT to 001, and back to ADAT? HELP!!

Here is the easiest way (unsynchronized):

1-Connect the ADAT

2-Transfer the tracks into a session.

3-Record your new material.

4-Transfer all tracks back to the ADAT.

If you want to only layback the new material to the ADAT tape, that increases the complexity of the situation and requires an ADAT Sync peripheral (DataSync, DTP, BRC, etc).

Brent
Old 01-24-2002, 06:50 AM

Listen to Brent.
Save yourself a headache and trannsfer ALL the tracks. Trying to get the pro tools tracks BACk to ADAT will be an adventure you will want to miss.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:14 AM

it is possible, but you'll need some additional equipment. I have the adat/edit card and that one will give me sync and lightpipe and the ability to get tracks into my pc and back on adat sampleaccurate. All this stuff also works for mac (i'm told). The trick is to get some control over the adat via the 9-pin remote connector. I think the korg 12/12 can do the same (but i dont know if that works on a mac...)

Bastiaan

Bastiaan
Old 01-24-2002, 07:27 AM

IF you were going to do it via a MOTU DTP, can anyone explain the procedure?

I have a project coming up that is going to entail me to dumping 24 tracks of ADAT into Pro Tools (the good thing being is that I don't have to fly them back to ADAT). Seeing that we can only dump 8 at a time in (with no outboard lightpipe device in my studio), I am going to need to lock 3 times per session.

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2002, 07:41 AM

Would a MOTU MTP AV work for the job or do I need a Digital Timepiece?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:58 AM

OK brent,
Iguess whet we are trying to do is send him back home with some guitar tracks, that he can then sync up to the other recorded tracks at his studio.

He will be bringing an adat, and a BRC.
What procedure do we need to take?
I need to know from taking his adat out of the box to putting it back in for him to take home. I know that sounds like a lot, but Im not sure what I need to do in protools to get the tracks, from his adat.
I've never done it before, but it cant be that hard huh?
I'm guessing I will need to connect the adat through my light pipe?

thanks
chad
Old 01-24-2002, 10:23 AM

The problem is not getting the tracks to and from protools the problem lies with getting the new guitar tracks to line up with his existing tracks back home. This requires a sync device which we are all assuming you don't have (a BRC won't cut it). The easiest thing to do is just record the guitar tracks through your pre's and straight into the ADAT. You said he was pre-mixing this stuff down for you anyway... just use the remaining six tracks on the ADAT and save yourself alot of time and money. Of course that limits you to 6 tracks, but that might be all you need.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:39 AM

I've never gotten sample-accurate sync with PTLE and ADAT. I don't think it can be done. It PROBABLY isn't necessary, tho'.

I supply a stereo ADAT mix (plus click track) to a drummer who adds live drums to my tapes. I then fly the tracks back into PTLE (the reverse of what you're doing). It works very well for a 4 minute song to just put a few clicks at the beginning of the ADAT tracks (all of them). Then record those clicks into PTLE along with the mix. With those clicks, he can line up the beginning of his ADAT tape to his other ADAT tapes (assuming he has 16-24 tracks of ADAT). Since he has a BRC, he can offset your ADAT tape against the remaining tapes using the clicks as a reference. You should probably also copy the clicks to your new guitar tracks so they line up.

If you digitally sync the ADAT and PTLE (using the ADAT as the master, of course), those clicks will line up pretty much through the end of the song. Occasionally, I'll have to nudge something a few ms towards the end, but otherwise, it's quick, easy, and pretty painless.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-24-2002, 12:41 PM

syncing with OO1 is a nightmare (one of the main reasons I went TDM). You have to get the ADAT sync converted to Midi time code for OO1 to recognise it.

see the following links from the digi faq
http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq/001datasync2.html
http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq/001mtpav.html