Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Please help me decide....

I'm trying to decided which software to use for recording. I'm debating whether to go with Logic or ProTools. From what I've read, it seems like people usually agree on this:

Logic is better for composing and arranging music and MIDI

ProTools is better for recording and editing music and audio post-production

Here is my plan. I have 2 samplers / sequencers (MPC 60 and SP1200). I will use the MPC as my main sequencer for both machines and for whatever synths I might get in the future. I also have an old Tascam mixing board. I don't know if running everything through it would give my tracks more of the "analog" feel..... I'm a fan of old school hip hop.

Why do people prefer ProTools for post-production and editing? Is Logic not good in this department? I had a feeling Logic would allow me to do more sound tweaking (editing) than ProTools. What makes ProTools better post-production tool?

Also, since I'd have to use Digidesign's hardware with ProTools, how does the Digi 002R compare to let's say MOTU or RME interfaces as far as converters and pre's?

Any help would be much appreciated....
Old 11-06-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Please help me decide....

Digi's claim to fame has something to do with being the 'standard of the industry".
ProTools LE is a sideline of that reputation. Many love the software, probably because it is intuative and has some pretty amazing features. I find it to be very straight forward in its approach to capturing and manipulating audio.

Yes, it is tied to a very clumsy dongle. The OO2 converters are okay, but just that. Having 4 Pre's also limits the I/O severly. You will need an ADAT unit with 8 I/O to make use of the additional channels. I just got a Digimax LT to serve as 8 additional inputs with way better Pre's.

You do have ASIO and ReWire avalable in PTLE v6.x. This allows you to pipe other apps through ProTools. PTLE has MIDI, but nothing spectacular. Automation is another real bonus with PTLE. Again, simple and intuative.

Not sure what you are running for a CPU, but I prefer the old DIGIOO1 and waiting for them to drop under $300- on eBay. Having only 2 mediocre Pre's gives you more analog I/O. But new MACs don't support the PCI interface card. IMHO, the OO1, overall, is a better interface than the FireWire OO2. For a bare bones version of PTLE, version 5 was sweet and I will have this up and running as a pure post production console. I can tie the OO1 and OO2 together with the ADAT cable and have two processors running at the same time.

As for plugins, RTAS is a proprietary code that belongs to Digidesign. Although there are many developers that support it, it is more expensive than much of the VSTs available. Personally, I like the Waves bundles and they will work on any platform (Native that is).

See if you can sit down at a PTLE workstation at your local Guitar Center and bring a few tracks.
You'll get the feel of it in minutes.

Happy Shopping
Old 11-08-2004, 08:13 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply, SimpleNatureSpirit....

I'd like to hear more opinions from people who have experience with both programs.

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 AM

hip-hop; old-school, new-school, any-school...

purchase nuendo (any version really) + reason 2.5 and run as far away from here as possible...

may all your wildest dreams come true,
detroitkruk
Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Quote:
purchase nuendo (any version really) + reason 2.5 and run as far away from here as possible...
Hahaha ....... can you elaborate a little more? What would Nuendo offer me that Logic or ProTools wouldn't? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I wanna make hip hop?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:48 AM

It wouldn't necessarily be better at all, just a different way of doing similar things. Given that you already have the MPC/sampler units, you're further ahead than you know. ProTools will do a fine job and getting the sequences recorded. You can then edit ad nauseam, process, tweak, etc.

When they released the big LogicPro Bundle last spring, I jumped on it like a monkey, thinking 'it' was the answer, the all-integrated program which will allow me to do anything, anytime, blah, blah, blah....I sold the damn thing quicker than you can say "why-do-I-have-to-create-all-these-audio-objects-I-just-wanna-make-music-damnit".

Conclusion, Logic is certainly a very powerful program and I would say it best suits those who are already familiar with it, who've worked with it for a few years. I've been a ProTools user for 4+ years, Reason for 3 and Live for 2 years. Try getting your head 'round Logic after being used to that. It's ulcer inducing. It makes working in PT a near-euphoric experience. Logic is the most illogical program I've ever experienced. It made me want to quit it all and just write with my acoustic guitar and use my phone answering system as a recorder, and I'm not even kidding.

I'm not saying don't get Logic. You asked for opinions, and there was mine.

You don't "need" Logic or any other program, you get what works best for you, and anyone who tells you otherwise should drop any musical ambition and be bound to a life of car salesman in hell.

If you want more sound manipulation once the music is in your computer, then I'd have to steer you towards Ableton Live. Go to the site and check out the tutorials, FAQ, download a demo version, etc. Everything you need to know about the basics of this program is on the site, so I don't have to. I think you'll know pretty quickly whether or not you could use something like this. www.ableton.com

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks for your advice.

If I understand you guys correctly, you're saying that ProTools is more straight forward. Both Logic and ProTools would allow me to do the same tasks, but Logic would be more complicated.....

What like about Logic is the fact that I can choose whatever interface I want to and from what I read, Digi002 is less flexible and offers less features then, for example MOTU 828MKll or RME FireFace 800.

Another thing I did, as a complete beginner, was going through some Logic forums and this ProTools forum. I noticed a lot more posts in ProTools forum regarding some sort of problems. It seems like in theory, Protools is a great straight forward program, but in reality, many people experience some sort of issues (hardware or software related).....

I was also wondering if anyone could compare the Digi002R to MOTU and RME firewire interfaces.

Thanks a lot everyone, your help is appreciated.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:29 PM

I own both. Here's what I think"

ProTools good
simple interface
easy to record audio and manipulate

ProTools bad
locked into Digidesign hardware and RTAS
price vs. features
included plugins kinda lame

Logic good
comes with great software instrument and decent plugins
supports a wide variety of hardware
comes with Waveburner Pro for mastering and burning redbook audio cds

Logic bad
very complicated work flow - seems a lot harder than it needs to be
Logic 7 is VERY buggy

They both have different approaches. Pro Tools is made to work like a tape machine, so it's very efficient in terms of work flow and interface. Logic started out MIDI only, and it shows. It's much more of a sequencer than an audio recorder. The fact that you have to open a different window to do sample editing of audio just blows my mind...i mean, why? On the other hand, I am continually frustrated with Digidesign's hardware and their approach to making sure we buy/upgrade.

They can both do great things.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:56 PM

Thanks a lot silverlode....

Regarding the plugins, isn't there an "RTAS into VST" converter available? I'm not sure, I think I read about something like that....
Old 11-09-2004, 03:32 PM

This might add to your confusion but you should consider Digital Performer as well. I like Pro Tools but DP 4.5 is superior to PT LE or Logic in many ways.