Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 AM

Exclamation Can't Open Pro Tools 8 !!!

I just downloaded the new version 8 for m-powered and when it starts to search for my plugins it cannot find the waves plugins. a new screen pops up asking for the location but I cannot type anything in or click anything in to show the system where to look for the plugins. I have updated the software for the mac, waves, m-audio etc but nothing works. i have to force quit.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Can't Open Pro Tools 8 !!!

Waves has reported an issue that may be what you are seeing, and instructions to resolve it:
Quote:
When launching Pro Tools, the Waves dialog "Where is the Waves Plug-Ins folder?" may pop up behind the Pro Tools splash screen and may become inactive after bringing it to the foreground.

To solve this issue:

1. Right click on Waves Plug-ins folder and make Alias

2. Rename created Alias to Waves Plugins (capitalization is very important) , to : Waves Plugins

3. Copy alias (to clipboard)

4. Go to ~/Users/Current User/Library/Preferences/

5. Create new folder and name it Waves Preferences

6. Paste Waves Plugins alias(from clipboard) into created folder (Waves Preferences)

7. Delete alias that you created in step 2.

8. Start Pro Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:55 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.
i tried the suggestions that you had and and now another screen pops up asking "select waves 5.9.8 plugins folder" and i cant click anything?"

The screen that pops up right before the one above asks for waves 5.9.8 Preferences
then has check boxes for don't use audiosuite plugins, don't use RTAS plug-ins, TDM, NetShell. then it goes onto the next popup which I cannot enter anything.
the time before the version of waves was 6.0.8. I must have different plugins with versions?
Any other suggestions?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Thank Goodness for this post! Why doesn't Waves make this information available on their site? I couldn't find anything there. I followed these steps exactly and it DOES WORK!!! Very happy the DUC is here; would have lost an entire weekend otherwise.

Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 AM

I found the Waves Plug-ins folder, but 'Make Alias' is greyed out. What should I do next?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 AM

Does anyone know what the workaround is for the same situation on WinXP? I upgraded to Waves v6 and have the same exact problem, only I can't use any of the plug-ins. Digidesign Support told me they got the Mac OS workaround directly from Waves and they don't have the steps for PC... I tried to email Waves Support but my "support plan" expired and I have to pay $$$ to renew just to get help with authorizing something I already own! Isn't that absurd! Waves sux...

If anyone could help it would be appreciated. Thx
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Ok, I have the same problem, running a brand new mac pro, except I don't have a waves plug-ins folder to create an alias of. In fact, I don't have any folders in my computer with "waves" in the title. I deleted them all before finding this post. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM

I have the same thing going on, new 27" Imac quad core running snow leopard. Just got everything up and running and decided to update my Berklee plug in bundles, for which I had to buy an update package, and now on start up get the "select waves "6.0.6" plug ins folder" message and everything is greyed out. . . . only solution is to force quit. Tried the workaround at the top of this thread but to no avail.

Anyone been able to solve this?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Lightbulb Re: Can't Open Pro Tools 8 !!!

This problem hit me (PT 8.0.1) but I figured out a workaround. In short, keyboard navigation still works. So put an alias of your drive in that folder and use keys to navigate to the plugins folder.

I wrote it up in full detail here:

http://www.silentway.com/forum/pro-t...d-mouse-clicks

Maybe this issue was fixed in later versions of PT?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM

I've tried everything listed in this thread, but I still can't select anything when the "Select Waves 9 Plug-Ins folder" dialog box appears during start-up. I'm able to scroll up/down with my mouse inside the dialog box, but I can't left/right click on anything and keyboard navigation does not work at all (can't tab or use arrow keys for selection or hit either enter key). Please help!