How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 AM

Default MIDI Transposition Problems

Hi Everyone:
I've been running non-HD 2018.1.0 on MacOS 10.12.6 on a late 2013 6 core Trashcan for a while now and have found something odd with the MIDI transpose function.

If I select a note and transpose by one octave then sometimes it only transposes by 11 semitones. That's up or down. If I select 12 semitones and transpose then it's correct.

Also, if I select one of the other options on the transpose window, say "Transpose all notes to", enter the note to transpose to and then put the selector back to "Transpose by" and process, rather than transpose by the value in the "Transpose by" box, it sets all notes to the value in the "Transpose all notes to" parameter instead. In other words, it doesn't seem to look at whatever is selected as the transpose function, it carries out the function relating to the last parameter changed in the entire window. If I then leave the selection to "Transpose by" and then change a value in the "Transpose by" box and process, then it does what it should - unless it's an octave, in which case you get 11 semitones.

Of course, I've just gone back to the project to confirm this and it's working correctly now! I hadn't closed it down, just left it as it was to type this post.

It seems to be soon after opening a project (the first of the day) when this is happening. I tried closing down the project (and even PT) and starting it all up again but this time it has behaved itself. It's as if it knows that I'm trying to catch it out...

This has happened on large and small projects and on projects created in 2018.1.0 or before. I've not noticed this on previous versions, but don't have them now to roll back to to check.

I've noticed this happening before (on a different project) but had put it down to me not entering the correct information.

Has anyone else noticed this odd behaviour.? It's not a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination (and indeed transposing by 11 instead of 12 semitones could open all sorts of new "interesting" compositional opportunities) but I'd be interested if it's just happening to me or not!
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Re: MIDI Transposition Problems

I haven't seen that one, but I've seen and experienced a bunch of other mysterious problems that were solved by re-launch. Seems to be the 2018.1 equivalent of the old fix-by-power-cycle trick.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Yeah I had the 11 semitone issue as well but then again I'm having tons of MIDI editing issues with PT right now. Old bugs from 12.4 or so. :/
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 AM

I take that back. I did have it transposing 11 instead of an octave last night, and restarting didn't fix it. Win7, here. PT12 can't count to 12. I'll start an Ideascale bug report.

[Edit] Bug report: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

Last edited by daeron80; 02-23-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 AM

I just discovered I'm having this issue now. it's transposing by an octave +/-1 semitone. 2018.3 seems to add the fun quirk of causing the up/down arrow keys to repeat the previous octave transposition set in the event operations transpose dialog in addition to the semitone.

you can follow the programmer's train of thought; the up/down keys are essentially doing the same as opening a transpose dialog, setting the transpose to 1 semitone up or down and hitting enter.

when you hit alt-T, it opens up the transpose dialog with the previous values still set, right? now it's including the invisible one semitone set for the up/down arrow keys when you try to use the dialog.
at the same time, if you set an octave in the dialog, it's not reset to zero when you press the up/down arrows!!

just about the stupidest bug i've ever heard of because there was already a correctly implemented shortcut to transpose up and down a semitone that doesn't cause this to happen!! windows key and +/- on the numpad. did the people that implemented this new feature perhaps not know it already existed..?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Good troubleshooting. I've added this thread and a comment referencing your diagnosis to the Ideascale bug report.