Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Default PT9 on multiple computers ?

So I've just upgraded my PTHD8 to a PTHD9 license and I assumed it'd come with a backup license to transfer to a 2nd iLok as always in the past. With PTHD9 you get 2 licenses on your iLok: a PTHD9 and a PT9 license however you can't break up the licenses to another iLok which in my opinion is a huge bummer. I leave our main HD rig with our iLoks plugged in but would like to be able to open PT9 on my laptop (I dont use plugins on that rig etc...) but at present it appears I'd be forced to purchase another license ???? Avid anyone, am I misinformed etc? I presently have to PTLE rigs that I could upgrade but I would love to avoid spending another $250 just to be able to open 9 on my laptop after just spending 350 on HD9
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: PT9 on multiple computers ?

The idea is to only allow one installation to run at a time.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Angry Re: PT9 on multiple computers ?

so its $349 for HD users(who had to have a interface so we've already spent that money) to be able to disconnect their previously required interface, however if we'd like to take advantage of not needing a interface, for a mobile rig or something else we need a completely separate bundle. it just seems kinda misguided to me.

I understand the need for different licenses etc, but I don't want to carry around my iLok everytime I try to run to my laptop and make a quick bounce etc. almost all plugin mfgs allow for 2 cpu authorizations when not using iLoks and in the past the Main/Backup license allowed for this, seems like I just paid $349 for the amazing ability to use my Mac Pro's line out instead of my 192, Yay
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM

All that really is happening here is that PTE users are getting iLokked just Mpowered and HD users have been for some time.

As someone with a variety of LE systems I'm not exactly jumping for joy. but as a LE user I'm jumping for joy - if not from added features from the fact that AVID finally seemed to listen.

It looks like we are heading towards a common software base, a common authorization scheme and a easier to maintain list of platforms. In the long run this should make it much easier to push the application forward faster and develop new hardware quicker. All good things.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Like with any major advantage gained, there is always an equally major disadvantage. I too have Pro Tools 8 on 3 of my systems, and having to lug around my main ilok is gonna be a pain. All I want is an ilok that stays with my studio rig, and one to travel with, both with all my authorizations on them. Is that not possible with PT9?

EDIT: I think I actually found an alternative. Reading from avid iLok Q&A:

Q: I have more than one iLok Key. Is there a way to combine authorizations onto a single Key to free up a USB port?
A: Yes! With the new features of v2.0 at iLok.com, you can now move authorizations from any iLok Key in your iLok account to any other iLok key on that account. You can arrange your licenses in anyway you like on your multiple iLoks. If you wish to use multiple iLoks, purchasing a powered USB hub will allow you to employ multiple iLok Keys if you do not currently have additional USB ports available on your system.

So if you wanna use Pro Tools 9 on another system, it seems you can simply just log into your iLok.com account and transfer your PT9 license between your iLok's on your account. It's an extra step to just having a cloned iLok, but it beats buying a completely separate authorization for your second iLok.

Can anyone confirm that this would work? The only problem I see is if you have to have both iLoks on hand to remove an auth from one.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Like with any major advantage gained, there is always an equally major disadvantage. I too have Pro Tools 8 on 3 of my systems, and having to lug around my main ilok is gonna be a pain. All I want is an ilok that stays with my studio rig, and one to travel with, both with all my authorizations on them. Is that not possible with PT9?
Not without buying another PT9 authorization.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post

EDIT: I think I actually found an alternative. Reading from avid iLok Q&A:

Q: I have more than one iLok Key. Is there a way to combine authorizations onto a single Key to free up a USB port?
A: Yes! With the new features of v2.0 at iLok.com, you can now move authorizations from any iLok Key in your iLok account to any other iLok key on that account. You can arrange your licenses in anyway you like on your multiple iLoks. If you wish to use multiple iLoks, purchasing a powered USB hub will allow you to employ multiple iLok Keys if you do not currently have additional USB ports available on your system.

So if you wanna use Pro Tools 9 on another system, it seems you can simply just log into your iLok.com account and transfer your PT9 license between your iLok's on your account. It's an extra step to just having a cloned iLok, but it beats buying a completely separate authorization for your second iLok.

Can anyone confirm that this would work? The only problem I see is if you have to have both iLoks on hand to remove an auth from one.
No. This will not work. ilok license transfers have to be done on the same machine if using the same account.

In other words, you cant just toss the license back and forth over the web on the account.