Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Codec error on video import

Hey all,

Just downloaded Pro Tools 11 on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion and trying to import video into Pro Tools, and I can't seem to get it working. I cross checked to make sure I was getting the right video file specs and codecs, but nothing seems to allow me to import video into Pro Tools 11. I get an error that says this: "Unable to link to file "<file name>" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported". This happens no matter if I use DNxHD, H.264, XDCAM or Pro Res 422 files all wrapped in a Quicktime file.

What am I missing? I believe I have all the playback engine settings set correctly. Please advise. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Codec error on video import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrcular View Post
Hey all,

Just downloaded Pro Tools 11 on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion and trying to import video into Pro Tools, and I can't seem to get it working. I cross checked to make sure I was getting the right video file specs and codecs, but nothing seems to allow me to import video into Pro Tools 11. I get an error that says this: "Unable to link to file "<file name>" due to either a missing CODEC or the file may be unsupported". This happens no matter if I use DNxHD, H.264, XDCAM or Pro Res 422 files all wrapped in a Quicktime file.

What am I missing? I believe I have all the playback engine settings set correctly. Please advise. Thanks!
Stupid question but did you check the "install video engine" when installing PT11? I am just asking as we did miss that the first time around

Best Wishes
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Question Re: Codec error on video import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Stupid question but did you check the "install video engine" when installing PT11?
Setup-->Playback Engine-->Video Engine enabled?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Setup-->Playback Engine-->Video Engine enabled?
Thank you for that it did it for us

Awesome support as usual Avid techs! Big Thumbs Up!

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Do you have any more troubleshooting ideas? I just installed Pro Tools 11 on a Mac Mini with HDMI out to a Sony TV. Quicktimes which play fine on my main system just show up as a black window on the mini. I'm also getting occasional "Segmentation fault" errors on quitting and the missing codec warning.

Video engine is on; Avid Codec's are installed. Quicktimes play fine when opened in Quicktime player, just not in Pro Tools.

Thanks.

EDIT: Figured it out, I think. In the System Requirements it says 8GB RAM required for Video Playback, the mini only has 4GB. That would also explain the "Segmentation Error." Carry on, nothing to see here.

Last edited by JMDNYC; 06-22-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Hi all,

RE: "Installing Video Engine". This Pro Tools 11 install was just a drag and drop according to install instructions so I literally dragged the Pro Tools icon from the install image to applications. So I didn't see any install video engine option.
However, I did enable the video engine, but anything I try and import comes back as incompatable. This is the trial version I downloaded, but to my understanding it's a fully functioning version for 30 days according to Avid.

Is there anything in the import process I'm missing?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Question Re: Codec error on video import

Quote:
What codec was used for these movies? Are they reference movies (a few hundred KB in size) or self-contained movies? Where are you trying to import them from?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

RE: "Installing Video Engine". This Pro Tools 11 install was just a drag and drop according to install instructions so I literally dragged the Pro Tools icon from the install image to applications. So I didn't see any install video engine option.
However, I did enable the video engine, but anything I try and import comes back as incompatable. This is the trial version I downloaded, but to my understanding it's a fully functioning version for 30 days according to Avid.

Yes - drag Pro Tools into the applications folder. Not sure if this is the missing step but there were a few extra folders, one of which contained an installer for video codecs (which I ran). When I tested (by dragging a video file into the edit window), I was prompted to enable the video engine (which was 'off' - nice touch!)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM

As far as codecs, I've tried DNxHD, ProRes 422, H.264 and XDCAM 422 all in Quicktimes. None of which are working. I installed everything that came with the Pro Tools 11 download.
One thing to note...I can import these videos in Pro Tools 10 no problem on the same machine. But when I open Pro Tools 11, I get the codec error. I've tried reinstalling a few times, and uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools 10 on the same machine, thinking maybe there was a conflict their, and I'm still not able to import video into PT 11.

Any suggestions? Is everyone able to import video no problems in PT 11?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
As far as codecs, I've tried DNxHD, ProRes 422, H.264 and XDCAM 422 all in Quicktimes. None of which are working. I installed everything that came with the Pro Tools 11 download.
One thing to note...I can import these videos in Pro Tools 10 no problem on the same machine. But when I open Pro Tools 11, I get the codec error. I've tried reinstalling a few times, and uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools 10 on the same machine, thinking maybe there was a conflict their, and I'm still not able to import video into PT 11.

Any suggestions? Is everyone able to import video no problems in PT 11?
Having exactly the same problems. DNxHD MXFs come up as CODEC missing, ProRes and other QuickTimes just have a black screen. 8GB of RAM too.