Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 AM

Default Motor Noise

I just unpacked my new MC Mix and played around a little, and I am pretty annoyed by that constant motor noise. It's coming from one fader only, and it comes and goes as it pleases.
Is that a common issue, or should I return it and get another one?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Motor Noise

unfortunately both mine do the same thing now and again.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Okay, thanks for your input. This at least means it's a feature not a failure, and so I'll keep it (grinding my teeth considering what it costs. For 1000$ you shouldn't have to deal with sth like that.).
Maybe a new firmware will take care of this issue? Pretty please, Avid...?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Have the same thing and it seems that a certain production run exhibits this kind of thing. Had a representative here and he had a different MC MIX to test; motor noise was practically non-existent...

Waiting for replacements...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Well, what does that mean for people who don't have Euphonix personnel visiting their studio?
I struggeled to get a quiet control room, and now I have a device right in front of me, that makes more noise than the MacPro which I banned from this room.
It's ridiculous, isn't it? I like the controller very much, but it is really (and I can't stress enough how much) disturbing my working.
I already contacted Euphonix on that, but didn't get a reply so far. If it's a manufacturing failure, and they were able to resolve it, then they should provide customers with functioning devices, taking back the noisemakers.
I mean, it's not that the buttons are lid differently or something one could live with. It really gets in the way of my work, when I do atmospheres for instance.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Well, what does that mean for people who don't have Euphonix personnel visiting their studio?
I struggeled to get a quiet control room, and now I have a device right in front of me, that makes more noise than the MacPro which I banned from this room.
It's ridiculous, isn't it? I like the controller very much, but it is really (and I can't stress enough how much) disturbing my working.
I already contacted Euphonix on that, but didn't get a reply so far. If it's a manufacturing failure, and they were able to resolve it, then they should provide customers with functioning devices, taking back the noisemakers.
I mean, it's not that the buttons are lid differently or something one could live with. It really gets in the way of my work, when I do atmospheres for instance.
I have the same problem and am going to call them on Monday... you probably just didn't get a response yet due to the holidays.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM

I talked to my dealer about that, and he told me that in the middle of january they are getting a shipment of the new revision. He said he's going to replace mine. We'll see if that helps.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm wondering if anyone's heard more about this? I have a MC Mix, I here some motor noise, usually it happens just for a moment- almost as if the fader is just trying to settle into it's position/placement after moving, then usually goes away within a couple seconds. .. or if I tap the fader, it helps it fall into position then goes away.

Just wondering if it might get worse over time, or if it's gotten better with the use of EuCon in PT9.

Thx
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM

I'm using it with PT9 and Eucon, and it is like you say - but it doesn't stop after a few seconds, but it literally goes on forever. When I tap the fader it stops. But it's coming back after a while.
And I narrowed it down to one fader. It's only the second from the left that behaves that way.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I'm using it with PT9 and Eucon, and it is like you say - but it doesn't stop after a few seconds, but it literally goes on forever. When I tap the fader it stops. But it's coming back after a while.
And I narrowed it down to one fader. It's only the second from the left that behaves that way.
Interesting, my 2nd fader also takes longer to settle into position. The others usually snap pretty quickly, but that buzzing noise is present on all of them with slow movements.

The fader issue could be a fluke, but the decision to use cheap encoder knobs is very, very disappointing to me. They do not turn smoothly when slowly moved. I have hardware synths and am used to a fluid response. Even the cheapest analog mixers have good knobs. For over $1000, what a big letdown.

My only theory is that there were rounds of cost-cutting during the development process of the product. I know that the Mc Control 2 has better knobs, I wonder if it would be possible to get that improvement with the Mix.