How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2015, 12:17 AM

Default Pro Tools Crashes - Correlating to Session File Backups Time

Hi all,

I've begun noticing that any time Pro Tools crashes it appears to correlate to the time an automatic session file backup is taking place. For instance, I have backups set to 5 minute intervals and when Pro Tools crashes I'll look at the current time and see it's 1:15pm, then when I look in the Session File Backups folder I'll notice that the last backup was at 1:10pm.

I'm finding this pattern a little too regularly to be coincidental. Generally the crashes I experience are related to re-activating a plugin or performing a memory heavy operation at the same time a backup should be happening.

I'm posting to see if there are any other users who've noticed this same pattern?

I've tried Avid support already but I'm yet to receive any feedback on this specific correlation. (which is a separate issue)
Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Crashes - Correlating to Session File Backups Time

Yes, for me it's another one of those bugs that's popped up in various incarnations of PT over the years, though I've not noticed it in recent times.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM

I've been getting a lot of seemingly random crashes and I suspect it may be related to auto-save. I've got mine set to 1 minute intervals. Crashes occur during playback - sessions aren't very big, not many VI's, etc. Between this and the noise bursts, the user experience with PT is pretty exhausting.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyjackson View Post
Hi all,

I've begun noticing that any time Pro Tools crashes it appears to correlate to the time an automatic session file backup is taking place. For instance, I have backups set to 5 minute intervals and when Pro Tools crashes I'll look at the current time and see it's 1:15pm, then when I look in the Session File Backups folder I'll notice that the last backup was at 1:10pm.

I'm finding this pattern a little too regularly to be coincidental. Generally the crashes I experience are related to re-activating a plugin or performing a memory heavy operation at the same time a backup should be happening.

I'm posting to see if there are any other users who've noticed this same pattern?

I've tried Avid support already but I'm yet to receive any feedback on this specific correlation. (which is a separate issue)
Same thing here. I've definitely had multiple crashes caused by the autosave. I reported this to support months ago.

But at least there is now an internet browser within pro tools for buying plugins, plus we've got "cloud collaboration" coming in 2018, so I shouldn't complain about a little thing like the program crashing when saving.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
Crashes occur during playback
I'm pretty certain that auto-save only occurs when playback is stopped....?