Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Asio problem - Digi003 Rack - Driver vs9.0

I can confirm my problem with my generic master keyboard with classic midi (5 pin) and digi003 midi input + windows 7 64bit + cubase5 + digi asio driver. this problem there is only with midi 5-pin 003 input, not usb midi keyboards..

if I open a new empty project, MIDI input works, but if I change the project or change the buffer size by digi asio control panel, immediately after the midi input disappears, it stops working!
I have to close and reopen the cubase program, which is absurd, that I never happened when I used the digi003 with winxp pro sp3 ...

This problem, however, is not using the other keyboard that has the usb midi (roland sh201) and this works fine if I change my cubase project and if I change the buffer size on the digi asio control panel.

I tested the new digi003rack asio drivers for win7-64bit...
- "002 and 003 Rack Drivers v9.0.2.65" (audio crackling, distorted)
- "002 and 003 Rack Drivers v9.0" (audio crackling, distorted)
- and the previous version v.8.0.4b.
none of these drivers solve the problem with the 003 5-pin MIDI input.

(003rack+windows xp pro with sp3 all right! no problems! audio, midi, everythings ok)

i think that the problem of digi003 midi input (5-pin) is related to the win7 64bit and the new ASIO digidesign-avid driver

if someone uses PC with a keyboard (MIDI 5-pin) connected to digi003 + win7 64bit + cubase 5 (or protools 8/9) without any problems, Please help me to follow in his footsteps and system config (drivers version, installation procedures)

Please!
i need help!
Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Slaido,

I have the same problem. I tried many things to solve this, but without success.
The solution that I used was:
I bought a midi usb card!!!
The model that I bought was Roland UM-3G. I opted for Roland because the M-Audio and others do not have technical assistance in my city.
This card have 3 midi in/out. Now finally I´m using midi on Cubase 5 with Digi003 Rack.
But have one interesting thing... I have Pro Tools 9 and now I using Cubase to sequence midi and I can use Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack through my onboard spdif out (I will buy another card for this...) connected on spdif in of Digi003.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up Re: Asio problem - Digi003 Rack - Driver vs9.0

Lessandro thank you so much for your reply ... this reassures me ...
So if I understand you've got the same problem with MIDI 5pin and digi asio driver that I've described?!

is important to understand because the computer on which I am setting up the new daw has just bought and I'm always afraid that some hardware is not compatible or not functioning properly!

but apparently the problem we have is just the fault of the driver for digi003 asio 64bit and Windows 7-64bit ! is not the fault of our PC or windows!

perhaps avid-digidesign understand sooner or later this issue between the new ASIO driver and the midi 5pin port, and will release a new version of the driver!? we hope! also because it is not right that I should buy a new midi card when the midi digi003rack already has!

thank U!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm still trying to find an help, or at least understand how to solve my problem...

I state...
(for now I use another desktop PC that I have for three years (assembled with Asus P5K + mb nvidia graphic card) with winxpProSp3 ... works perfectly: digi003 (ASIO cubase5 v.7.4 + + + or 7.4 protools7.3 winxp, everything works! no audio-midi problems !)

PC has now changed and also Windows, from XP to win7

(New PC: mb Asus P7P55D-e + i5 quadcore + Ati sapphire hd5450 graphic card + ddr3-1600 + Dualch+hd SATA3 6GB/s)

I found several problems with this new system ...

these are my latest updates on the test-problems between the new desktop PC and 003rack+win7-32bit+cubase5+soundforge10:

(I tried to install win7 64bit, but nothing changes, does not work, same problems!

(Performed throughout the guide for avid digidesign-003 + windows7)

1394 firewire controller (integrated asus MB): I have tried all the drivers available and compatible with Windows, nothing changes, including the drivers there is no difference in performance, or use ... all work the same way ... legacy, non-legacy , chip "VIA", remain for all versions of the same asio-softwares related problems listed below:

problems:

1) Cubase audio play out sound distortion, but not for all versions of drivers...

2) SoundForge Graphic locked-freeze!, Goes to play audio well but its graphics does not move! (the playback bar position, vu-meters, the flow of wave in the window ..) do not move in real time with the 'sound!

3) software "midi in"Input signal disappearing from cubase when I click "ok" on the control panel of the ASIO digi003 driver (on the 003, however, the "midi in" led continues to flash when I push the keyboard notes midi)

DIGI ASIO Drivers test:

_v.9.0.265_ (single file present in the avid download, it is not specified 32bit or 64bit)
_cubase audio out "crackles" distorted! (1)
_the MMERefresh.exe application is Not installed by driver installation!
- Remains the problem of "midi" that disappears from cubase when I push "ok" on the digi asio control panel (3)
- SoundForge problem real-time graphics, not moving (2)

_v.9.0_ (single file present in the avid download, it is not specified if 32bit or 64bit version) _not works! same problems as v.0.0.265...

_v.8.0.3__ (single file present in the avid download, it is not specified if 32bit or 64bit version)
_This version finally get the application MMERefresh.exe! ... but does not install the driver properly until the end, so Windows 7 does not see the audio device digi003! (As if not installed!) Cubase also does not see the 'asio digi003 then impossible to test audio-midi-asio

_v.8.0.4beta 32bit (there is also the 64bit version, it works the same as 32bit version)
_with this version the cubase audio is fine! (play and rec, Inputs and Outputs)! does not distort with any ASIO buffer value.
- SoundForge no longer has a graphic problem! Graphics now moves correctly with the audio in real time!
- But not installed MMERefresh.exe! and there remains the problem of "midi in" disappears from cubase when pushing "ok" on the digi asio control panel ...

from these results I left v.8.0.4beta installed, at least the general audio performances ​​are fine! as they should be! (Play-rec-Inputs+outputs)!
remains only the problem of "midi in" disappearance ...to reappear in cubase do I disable and enable "digital F003 midi in/out" from "settings-midi" in cubase ...

to the problem of "midi in" I'm thinking maybe the cause is related to the failure to install the "MMERefresh.exe" ... because ..?!?...

MMERefresh.exe + application is a background service that is installed during the 'audio digidesign driver installation:

MMERefresh.exe - General Information

Name:
MMERefresh.exe (Digidesign MME Binder)
Publisher
Digidesign, A Division of Avid Technology, Inc.
Product:
Digidesign MME Binder
Default location:
% ProgramFiles% \ Digidesign \ Drivers \ MMERefresh.exe
MMERefresh.exe - Description and Recommendation

Part of Digidesgin Protools. Refreshes your midi ports on the 002 (R) (the 002R is a hardware audio / midi converter connected to your computer via firewire). Must be running in order to use the MIDI Functionality of the Digi002R.
MMERefresh.exe - Uninstall Techniques

I tried to copy the file mmerefresh.exe (which is installed by v.8.0.3) and start it using the ASIO driver 8.0.4beta (best driver for now), but does not solve the "midi in" problem, Perhaps there is an incompatibility between different versions of digi drivers and MME, or between MME-win7
(I repeat that I never had these problems with the other old pc+winXP+digi driver 7.4, I always had a "MMERefresh.exe" installed and started)

do not remain that the following tests:

- To use another PCI Firewire (instead of the one integrated on the mb) ... let's see if anything changes ...

- Install and change the video card? install a nvidia instead of ATI ...incompatible graphics card?

after, if not resolve, the last idea for now is to install "win xp pro sp3" even on the new PC, with the old digi asio driver v.7.4 for XP and see how it goes ... if they are all the problems described ...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 AM

i can confirm that 8.0.4 drivers and up are crackling with asio (nuendo 4/nuendo 5)
8.0.4beta is ok, but direct monitoring doesn't work.
tested with 002r / 003r / win xp sp3 / win7 32bit.
can't confirm midi problems, because i'm using separate midi interface.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM

thanks...!

direct monitoring don' work...it' a know issue! bad new digi drivers?!

wait the new drivers?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Slaido,

I use the 5 pin midi connection and also have all the same problems described by you. I´m using Windows 7 64 SP1. The system is very fine and fast. With 8.0.4 beta driver, Cubase,Sound Forge and Pro Tools are working ok, but low latency and direct monitoring not working. After losing much time looking for a solution to the problems with Digi003 drivers, I decided to buy a dedicated card midi. I gave up waiting for Digidesign/Avid ...

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM

Slaido,

One interesting thing with the driver vs 9.x: when sound is generated by a vsti, audio is ok. There are crackles only when the sound is from an audio channel. Try a test.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM

ok I'll try as you say ...

...but I read on the avid website that protools LE interface are not compatible with 64bit ... this might explain some issues?

you have also tried to use windows 7 32 bit?

Do you know anything about it? You can confirm this too?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Somewhat similar problem, or related - running Pro Tools 9.0 on Win 7 64bit. There is no cursor in Vegas and no meters. Same in Cubase and Sound Forge. It is completely unuseable. Is this a known bug at this point for Avid? Are they working on a fix??