Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 AM

Default Re: What\'s up with Digidesign and this forum as of late?

who...i know what ya mean...i've thought that maybe google has taken a little bit from some user forums...as it's indexing get's better, maybe people are finding their answers quicker there...i know that forum search engines have always left a whole lot to be desired....

i asked about updating the build stickies (based on the pages and pages of old posts one might have to sift through to find their info) and a digi rep said he would update them if someone had the time to collate them...would be nice...

i think the reason the forum as a whole sometimes feels slow is the UBB script...they may not be using the latest revision of the forum script (developer is on 7.3 (funny, right?) and digi is still using 6.4 (funnier, right?)), therefore not taking advantage of some of the server side improvements that have happened in recent years (php/mysql)....

xxoo

detroitkruk
Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Does Phil Jackson ever post answers in this forum?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 AM

I noticed this thread was getting a lot of action, so I dropped by to see what is going on...

Wow.. very interesting thread...
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Avid

Hopefully I can address some of the complaints here.

Regarding your statement that it's impossible to get someone from Digi on the phone - which number are you calling? Are you in warranty?

And which information, specifically, are you finding is outdated in the stickies? I know a few of them have some minor points that can and will be changed, but I'd like to know what you're seeing, in case either we're missing something or you're misreading something.

The offer to re-sticky a new, cleaner version of the build forums is still open.

As for the interesting posts - like spkguitar indicates, those are all user generated. We're only here to monitor, answer questions and investigate reports of possible bugs.

The slowness and search functions are known and we're looking at possible solutions. Google search is much better, so I'd recommend using that (use the Google the DUC link at the top).
Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 PM

hmm... do you have any comment on post 1292663 ? Posted it a while ago, three dozen reads, not a word of comment. Not exactly useful so far.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1292663

I played with this some more. I can't say that I make much sense of what is going on, but Digi drivers and generic USB audio devices do not seem to coexist pacefully. After I plugged in an USB headset I had to reboot my machine twice before it stopped popping "Found New Hardware" when it noticed Mbox. Looks pretty messy.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
hmm... do you have any comment on post 1292663 ? Posted it a while ago, three dozen reads, not a word of comment. Not exactly useful so far.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1292663

I played with this some more. I can't say that I make much sense of what is going on, but Digi drivers and generic USB audio devices do not seem to coexist pacefully. After I plugged in an USB headset I had to reboot my machine twice before it stopped popping "Found New Hardware" when it noticed Mbox. Looks pretty messy.
No, Digidesign does not disable built-in USB support. It sounds like your Windows OS installer did not install the necessary driver and/or the driver is corrupted, moved or otherwise rendered unusable by the OS. I don't have that specific USB headphone here, but I tested a couple generic USB devices (a gaming headset and a USB bluetooth device) without problems on my system here.

In doing a Google search, it appears that others have had similar issues with USB headsets (Plantronics and Logitech were the ones I saw), but I'm only finding one that presents a solution:

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/...&threadid=3357

Does that help at all?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
...Does that help at all?
Cool. Hey Digi, how about popping in on THIS thread. Thanx.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Ah, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I squeak and I get information.

Thank you very much for this pointer. I think details there are not quote right, but it is pointing in the right direction. Indeed usbaudio.sys is missing on all the machines I tried that failed to install that headset, and present in the machines that did install it. I did not realize that XP install is not always the same thing. I have yet to confirm that adding this driver to the system will fix the problem, but it is a very big step.

As I said (in my original post), Digi tech support rocks. Once you manage to get their ear, or email address.

thanks,

Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Digidesign - Regarding your statement that it's impossible to get someone from Digi on the phone - which number are you calling?

I am thinking about buying a new laptop and one of your M-box products. By Digidesign's own admission, Pro Tools can be very picky in regards to computer hardware, so I wanted to see if the laptop models I am considering are supported. I tried the forum first, but the recommended laptops are discontinued. I then tried your support section and couldn't find the necessary information. My next option was to call you directly, but wasn't even given the opportunity to tell the person I spoke to that I was a perspective customer. The second number I tried dead-ended with a message suggesting that I contact my reseller with questions. (I'm not going to bother doing that because most Musician Friend employees give less than accurate information.)

Digidesign - Are you in warranty?

No, but the purchase I'm considering is not my first. (I've been using and/or owned your products for many, many years.)

Digidesign - And which information, specifically, are you finding is outdated in the stickies? I know a few of them have some minor points that can and will be changed, but I'd like to know what you're seeing, in case either we're missing something or you're misreading something.

As I stated earlier, I have no interest in buying a Mac, so reading a bunch of posts about the Mac Book Pro is pretty useless to me, especially in a Windows forum. Furthermore, the Core 2 Duo laptops you recommend are discontinued.

Digidesign - The offer to re-sticky a new, cleaner version of the build forums is still open.

How about regularly updating the summaries at the beginning of each sticky?

Digidesign - As for the interesting posts - like spkguitar indicates, those are all user generated. We're only here to monitor, answer questions and investigate reports of possible bugs.

I'm sorry, but I think Digidesign is missing an opportunity. This forum is extremely valuable in terms of revenue generation and costs savings. The small amount of effort needed on Digidesign's part to keep things tidy and interesting are well worth the effort. (People will stop coming here if you don't.)