Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-04-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

I second the props for Blue Sky and their customer relations. I just picked up the same system and all my questions about setup and calibration were promptly answered by Pascal (I think the same fellow you were talking about). I also am surprised how much I enjoy the system, because I am used to hearing much more expensive monitors and my brain begins to think that only the "best" sets will sound good to me. Not so with these guys; they sound very good and the integration with the sub is excellent.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 AM

Nikki-k,
Glad to hear about your sucess! As for measuring room modes try using a base 10 number.
If you would like to find out more in regards to your floor, go here:
http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultim...ubb=forum;f=26
I personally am not an Aurelex fan. Maybe it's because most of the rooms that I've heard that use it are pretty poorly laid out control rooms. Go to the above link and ask Ethan. He knows his stuff.
Happy 5.1 mixing!!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:12 PM

Marti- Thanks for the concise post with the links.... A quick question- is there a problem with the Radio Shack digital sound pressure meter? Everyone does seem to be using the analog one, just wondering if the weighting and response is OK on the digital one, seeing as none of the local RS stores seem to have the analog one in stock.
Thanks,
Kevin
San Francisco, CA
Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Marti- Thanks for the concise post with the links.... A quick question- is there a problem with the Radio Shack digital sound pressure meter? Everyone does seem to be using the analog one, just wondering if the weighting and response is OK on the digital one, seeing as none of the local RS stores seem to have the analog one in stock.
Thanks,
Kevin
dr sound replies:
Kevin,
You're welcome. Glad to see it help! As for the Radio Shack Meter, I was told by a few techs who I respect to go with the analog one if it is available. Recently I compared my Analog to the Digital and they read exactly the same so much for that. I hear the Analog is no longer made so you may have to settle with the digital. Good luck and let us all know how it works for you. On a side note about the Radio Shack meter, they come from the factory very close to being calibrated. I've checked a couple vs. my calibrated meter (Dolby calibrated mine when they set up my room for a Printmaster) and they were within a half a db.
Take Care,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:24 AM

We have both the analog and digital RadioShack meter but mostly use the analog. They are essentially the same but i believe the digital can only measure in 0.1 db steps whereas the analog one is more precise...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I second the props for Blue Sky and their customer relations. I just picked up the same system and all my questions about setup and calibration were promptly answered by Pascal (I think the same fellow you were talking about). I also am surprised how much I enjoy the system, because I am used to hearing much more expensive monitors and my brain begins to think that only the "best" sets will sound good to me. Not so with these guys; they sound very good and the integration with the sub is excellent.
Wow! Thank you for the nice comments. We try our best to make sure that people get the most out of our systems.

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:40 AM

ok.. you perked up my interest... How do I get a blue sky ssytem into World Wide...? What size to I need for a 5.1 with about 20 feet to the mixing desk and 4 satillites for surrounds? Currently I'm running genelecs

cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 05-22-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
ok.. you perked up my interest... How do I get a blue sky ssytem into World Wide...? What size to I need for a 5.1 with about 20 feet to the mixing desk and 4 satillites for surrounds? Currently I'm running genelecs

cheers
georgia
Hello Georgia

Contact Steve Strassberg at the contact information below. Steve will arrange to get you system for evaluation at your studio. Having said that, your room is probably to large for our current "biggest" system, which is Sky System One (a near field system), so we may not currently be able to address your room. Having said that, you may want to check them out anyway. Also, we are working on something "bigger"...

for more information visit:
www.abluesky.com
www.abluesky.com/skysystemone (sky system one)
www.abluesky.com/prodesk (prodesk is a smaller system)
www.abluesky.com/reviews (reviews)
www.abluesky.com/m/p/bs20011a.pdf
- click the above link to download the new Blue Sky International product brochure in Adobe Acrobat format (530KB) -

Steve Strassberg
630 Ninth Avenue. Suite 1110, New York City, NY 10036
(between 44th and 45th street)
Phone: (212) 315-9551

If you have any questions, just e-mail me directly. [email protected]

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin, when I bought my analog meter several months ago, I was told by Radio Shack people that they have stopped producing it. It's no longer in their catalog. I suggest calling RS stores to see if they can get one to you from another store. Or let me know, the one I bought it from had about 6 or 7 left in stock, maybe I could pick one up for you if they still have them...

-Abbott
Old 05-24-2004, 05:12 AM

Use a 20 Hz- 20 KHz pink noise at an RMS level equal to a sine (997 Hz or so) whose peak is -18 dB FS. Set your amplifier's gain so that you have 85 dB SPL (C weight), for every single channel, at the listening point. 79 dB SPL (C) for tv or poor broadcast with very limited dynamic.

Before, equalize your room using loudspeaker positioning, tube traps, other...

About LFE channel: set it so that the you have 10 dB more output (in 0 Hz- 150 Hz band circa) than an ideal loudspeaker (full range!) set to previous specifications (85 dB SPL (C)). Use a spectrum analyzer to set your LFE.

Sorry for poor english.

BYE!!!

Simone Corelli