Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 09:13 AM

Default Dsp Addon for Ptle Solutions petition

Would interesting how many people are waiting
for a tdm capable ProtoolsLe Solution.
I am waiting for Dsp Addon or an integration posibillity for dsp based systems like Powercore or Uad 1 in Ptle...
Old 07-19-2002, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Dsp Addon for Ptle Solutions petition

Add ons to the digi001, I really have no interest in, the basic system works well, but the quality of the sound has never been as it was initially marketed as "pro tools sound". So I'm ready to trade up to something higher quality with more mic pre's, now that my studio has grown and I have more mics.

Faster Computers will eliminate the DSp bottle neck, so add on cards and such would be over kill, long term.

Course, they could always release a firewire Control surface for the 001.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:23 AM

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] it would be nice if they would let us use 1 HD Process card..That way we could get more in/out AND some dsp for plugins..I think the only problem with that is they would have to make a new head for the digi001 since it's powered off the pci bus and would probably hog too much bandwidth..
Call it the digi001+
1 HD Process card
1 self powered digi001 head(and don't make it look like tonka toy's)
1 sticker that say's= Digi Kick's Digital Ass
$2500-3000
That way i would be buying stuff that i could use when i upgrade to a HD system,and digi will have a strong foot in the native department..
just my 2 nickels and a quarter
Old 07-19-2002, 11:14 AM

It was possible to use a Mix Farm Card with a
Protools D24 Core Card. Great Feature for expanding a existing system. Why not the same with
the Digi001. Ok you need a modified Dsp Card, but look at the Powercore or Uad. They found a good way to go with the Pci Bus. Ok there are latency Problems. But if i want use more plugins and audio
tracks on my computer with native protools le, then i also have to increase Latency.....
So what...

Greetings
Old 07-19-2002, 01:50 PM

What should i say..

I am a customer and i support a company like Digidesign, when i spend money in their products.
As a customer of a product like digi001 or 002.
I have the right to think about the product, to
make suggestions and so on.
I dont think digidesign will go this way to create a modular System based on Dsps. But as
a customer i have the right to make the suggestion. At last i want to say Dsps arnt a Pro Feature anymore. Tdm is, cause the time division
multiplex based data transfer is the main point,
which provide fast and stable data transfer without using the pci bus... This is Pro.
The quality of the ad da converters of the audio interfaces, which are using best quality anti aliasing filter, sample & hold units, and comperators to provide best digital audio quality without jitter. This is pro. The possibility to connect a full function avid system. This is pro.
To provide best sync options with Super Clock, Blacburst,... to synchronize the whole av world stable with protools. This is Pro...
But DSP´s arnt pro. Look at Uad, Powercore.
Powercore especially brings you 4 100Mhz Motorolas with SRam. The mix farm 6 different 80mhz Motorollas with dram and sram and no ram.
So Dsps arnt the big price punch in a Protools Mix
Core. The Features above mentioned are the reason.

Greetings TrackerLE
Old 07-19-2002, 05:08 PM

DSp for LE-not going to happen. Why do you think they won't let you use the DSP that's in the 002? They want a clear line between LE and TDM-HD. The line is track count, beat detective, post features, and the biggie-dedicated DSP. It's their right to do it that way. I'm in an unrelated business, and I'll tell you , you can't let the customer run your business, or they will run you out of business. Is it frustrating that you can't simply pay for the features you want? Sure, but there are other options with logic or DP. One thing everyone's got to love and that is that things are only going to get better.
Viva digi!!
Old 07-19-2002, 05:20 PM

Hello,

I understand that everone has the right to ask for something if you are a "loyal DIGI user"' ,but if you want DSP then buy a mix. If that cost to much then get a d24. Think about it, if they gave the 001/002 DSP then no one would by a mix or HD .

tony [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 06:06 PM

Well, I understand that they(Digi) want to keep their two systems seperate, but if they would allow DSP cards like the Powercore to work with the 001, then I wouldn't be thinking of switching to Logic when the new OSX version comes out. Now, they could leave the track count the same for all I care and that would be the benefit of moving to TDM or HD. The appeal for a Powercore/Logic system will be much greater over a Digi 001/002 in the very near future. If they added support for the powercore, I wouldn't think twice about Logic. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:44 PM

appeal for a Powercore/Logic system will be much greater over a Digi 001/002 in the very near future.

I might be with you on this one.

tony
Old 07-19-2002, 08:12 PM

32 Tracks and Altivec/Multiprocessor support in the new OSX-Native version might be enough to keep me on Pro Tools LE for a while, but I too will be watching developments on the Apple/Emagic front. The latter have no "high-end," hardware-based solution, so obviously the OSX Logic release will be designed to squeeze every bit of performance out of the G4 with no artificial limitations on track count or anything else.

Having said that, I've enjoyed working with PTle and I'm glad to have learned my way around Pro Tools (never know when that might come in handy), but given Digidesign's continued (and understandable) focus on their hardware-based solutions, I think the most innovative and impressive developments in native audio for the forseeable future are going to be found elsewhere.