Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Default West L.A. Music acquired by Guitar Center

Was over in another forum and read that apparently West LA Music has been acquired by Guitar Center. Here's the text of an email that was sent out:

We are pleased to announce that West LA Music has been acquired by Guitar Center.

Our last day in business will be this Saturday, August 4th.

To thank you for you loyal patronage, we are offering our entire inventory at liquidation prices now through Saturday. Please stop in or call this week to take advantage of cost and below cost deals on guitars, amps, drums, keyboards, mics, music software, recording equipment, PA gear and accessories, plus hundreds of demos, used, discontinued and closeout items at huge savings.

All store fixtures will be sold.

We are truly honored to have served you for the past 46 years.

Our staff will be joining Guitar Center, and will continue serving you with Guitar Center’s vast inventory and convenient locations.

Sincerely,

The entire West L.A. Music staff

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Default Re: West L.A. Music acquired by Guitar Center

No Way!

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Stinks for the consumer, but good for the owners and glad they were able to place their staff as part of the deal.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM

Sad to see them go. I have shopped there for years.

GC did not acquire them, though. From GC's Facebook page:

A large Southern California competitor of ours, West LA Music, has decided to close its doors forever on August 4th. We have nothing but respect for their competitive spirit and the tremendous contribution they have made to the LA music scene over decades. It's been reported that we have acquired them, but that's not so. We have reached an agreement, however, to acquire most of their inventory, and they're working with us to help their customers smoothly transition their music gear needs to nearby Guitar Center stores. In addition we’ve been talking to many of West LA’s talented employees about joining Guitar Center.

Another one bites the dust...
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubyou View Post
Sad to see them go. I have shopped there for years.

GC did not acquire them, though. From GC's Facebook page:

A large Southern California competitor of ours, West LA Music, has decided to close its doors forever on August 4th. We have nothing but respect for their competitive spirit and the tremendous contribution they have made to the LA music scene over decades. It's been reported that we have acquired them, but that's not so. We have reached an agreement, however, to acquire most of their inventory, and they're working with us to help their customers smoothly transition their music gear needs to nearby Guitar Center stores. In addition we’ve been talking to many of West LA’s talented employees about joining Guitar Center.

Another one bites the dust...
Not disputing what you quote and what spin GC is putting on it but it did seem strange from what I quoted in my original post. I mean, what would GC have to gain from buying what is to them (GC) a relatively small operation like West LA? Another store location? It's not like West LA had some store specific product only they sold and GC wanted it. I'm suspecting the truth of what's happening is somewheres in between what GC and West LA are publicly stating. Would be interesting to hear from store personnel at West LA.

As far as acquiring any leftover stock if West LA goes fire sale/liquidation in their pricing there's not going to be much pickings left for GC. Then again that depends on what kind of offer GC made. And as far as talented employees - anything GC gets from West LA will be head & shoulders above the usual salesdroids GC has. I only go to GC for guitar strings and drum sticks when I'm near one.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM

I agree that the truth is likely between the spins. Over at Drummerworld, two posters who are locals and generally "in the know" said:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s....php?p=1030112
and
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s....php?p=1030138

Perhaps "we've been acquired" has a better ring to it than "we're done and closing down." As for the inventory, from a really quick look at the liquidation list, it looks like what's left might be what GC did not want. I agree about the talent level of the WLA employees vs that of GC.

I'm heading up there today to say my goodbyes to those I know who are still there. Still sad to see it go.

Kevin

Last edited by Avid; 08-03-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Changed the quoted text to links to the original posts on dw.com
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM

i sure hope this will be the beginning of a new GC pro division. everyone know GC is a joke and avoided at all cost!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
i sure hope this will be the beginning of a new GC pro division. everyone know GC is a joke and avoided at all cost!
It's not GC per se, rather its the inexperienced sales staff just graduated from the local community college recording program. I've run into a few on staff who were worthwhile, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM

"Avid," thanks for changing the quoted text to links. I assume that is how you want it done and I will do so in the future.

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by Avid; 08-03-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Yeah, probably better 'netiquette' especially considering the content. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
. everyone know GC is a joke and avoided at all cost!
what GC is a great place to get CABLES!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.