Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM

Default Newbie: trying to loop around an edit point...

I have over 60 audio classes to edit, and the teacher is not instructing in his native language and has a slight speech impediment, which makes long term listening difficult. To improve experience, I'm reducing/eliminating the stutters and false starts, which some have found quite distracting and difficult at times to follow, but his teaching is quite valuable to his students. This requires some pretty tight editing, so I'd like to create a loop around my edit point so I don't have to continuously stop and restart the audio to pass through the edit to see if the latest trim edit applied flows well. Combining the trim tool in shuffle mode makes PT the best editing environment for this work, but having the ability to start a loop, let's say 2 sec. before the edit point and end 2 sec. after, would sure cut down on some tedious work. Is this possible?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Newbie: trying to loop around an edit point...

If I understand correctly, you should be able to do this simply but having "Loop Playback" enabled from your dropdown menus, and then setting preroll to your desired length. I believe to activate pre-roll it's Apple+K. Double check me on that.

Pull up your transport and you will have edit fields to set the length of the pre-roll and post-roll. I would use pre-roll and highlight the section you want to loop. Once it starts playing, edit away without stopping playback and I think you will acheive what you desire.

You may find scrolling options will help in this to change the display for this type of editing, as in the change between fixed cursor, or scroll follows playback.

I personally don't ever use scroll follows playback, I just find it bothersome. But to each their own.

HTH
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM

PT will not update the selection while in standard Loop mode. You need to use Dynamic Transport mode.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Dynamic playback is on, set the loop and Pre & Post roll. However, once I hover over the selection with the trim tool and then click on the waveform to edit, I lose the selection and loop and it just continues to play as I'm editing (ignoring pre roll). However, if I use the shift key while clicking on the waveform with trim tool, it will go to the pre-roll setting but just play through without looping. Here's a capture vid of what's going on... it's a quicktime file.

http://www.prescottjohnson.ca/files/protoolsproblem.mov
Old 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Switch off "Link timeline and edit selection" that's "shift + /" or the icon below "hand". Remember, that your edits will be heard with some delay.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM

voila lego... the final piece!

thanks all for the solution! scanned the manual, didn't see an immediate answer. muchly appreciated.

Prescott