Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Adobe Premiere not passing source timecode

Just a further note on this. On my current feature the editor worked with merged clips. BUT apparently during the merge they used the filename and metadata from the audio files. So PT can actually link back to the original files with no problem.

I got an AAF with external media and 10 second handles. "Expand" is still a nightmare and I've never liked it. But this was edited with all channels on the timeline, so I'm able to use the AAF media as it is. Channel names show up and original timecode is valid. If I need more handles or suspect a channel is missing I can do the right-click dance and switch to the original file. It has saved a lot of hassle.

Otherwise the best way to go is still EDL->Ediload.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
... we do have a method that now works (EDL export / EdiLoad / PT) ...
Hi Guy,

I'm doing my first feature coming from Premiere, done lots of shorts successfully from Premiere using AAFs but want to belt and braces by getting an EDL as well.

I'd be incredibly grateful if you would share the settings your editor used on the EDL Export page of Premiere Pro.

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Hey, I had similar problem with an AAF from Premiere. The workaround was: export the Premiere Project as an Final Cut Project XML. Open it in Final Cut an make a proper export with Final Cut Pro and Automatic Duck as AAF. That worked also relinking in PT to the original files.
Permiere makes something weird with timecode. Even Ediload failed, it complaind that the framerate from the timecode is wrong. ??

Best

Guido
Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHelbling View Post
Permiere makes something weird with timecode. Even Ediload failed, it complaind that the framerate from the timecode is wrong. ??
I think with newer versions of Premiere this must be user error on the part of the picture department.

I received an AAF yesterday from Premiere that still had all the channel name, slate and take and timecode metadata intact.

The AAF output settings I ask Premiere editors to use are this:

Mixdown video: no
Breakout to Mono: Enabled
Sample Rate: 48000

Bits per Sample: 24
Files: Separate Audio

Format: Broadcast Wave

Render: Copy Complete Audio Files

However, this doesn't always go as well as the last one I received, so I think there must be some setting(s) that picture editors are using that strip metadata.

I'm going to investigate this further with the picture editor on the project I'm on but in the meantime, I want to make sure I can get a useable EDL from Premiere for future long form projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Otherwise the best way to go is still EDL->Ediload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
The editor swears he isn't using merged clips, but regardless we do have a method that now works (EDL export / EdiLoad / PT)
I've guessed these settings for the EDL output from Premiere but I'd love it if someone with real world experience could chime in on what worked for them!

Format/Type: CMX3600 or SMPTE File32
Start Timecode: Same as picture
Include Video Levels: Disabled
Include Audio Levels: Disabled
Use Source File Name: Enabled
32-character names: Enabled
Include Key Track: Disabled
Include Transitions: Disabled
Use Sound Roll/Sound Timecode: Enabled