Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Omni Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Will be interested in your findings and actual brand/s you like . Kev

Will do!
I bought the radio shack spl and wasn't satisfied with it, so ordered an American Recorder spl meter 8810. Which I'll get early next week and will run a few tests on it and also some pics of the enclousure and comparisons agains the OMNI. Someone else here also did an SPL reading and posted up. So far with just a quick hook up on the fans I got, they were way quieter than the omni, one of them had a variable speed knob.

Stay tuned.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:41 PM

I did a little searching on line found these which are designed for computer cases but would certainly work with a 120 to 12 V inverter
www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=9dbPapst.html or somewhat louder but more lighting effect maybe this one /www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=silent_blue_led_fan.html

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Just to update this thread, in case anyone missed it, apparently there's a fix for this in the new 9.1 HD update (firmware update).
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Thanks good news.....Interesting that it is a softwatre fix for what seems to be a hardware problem.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Well, technically it's a firmware update, so it's sort of hardware related. Apparently it regulates the fan better.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Well, technically it's a firmware update, so it's sort of hardware related. Apparently it regulates the fan better.
Gotya .. lets hope it does the trick.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM

I'll be checking out the firmware update this weekend, definitely hoping it helps. The fan noise on my Omni has definitely increased over time, the last few weeks of working with it I've been experiencing the constant ramp-up ramp-down noise which is extremely bothersome. I can live with a fast and somewhat noisy fan if it's consistent, but when it's changing pitch every few seconds due to spin speed it really becomes annoying.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Just to update this thread, in case anyone missed it, apparently there's a fix for this in the new 9.1 HD update (firmware update).
Just read this at the m-audio forum:
Pro Tools 9.0.1 Update for Owners of Pro Tools 9.0 and Pro Tools HD 9.0 on Mac and Windows...
...The cooling fan of the HD OMNI interface would produce excessive noise after a few minutes under certain conditions. (PTSW-130263)

Link:
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread...256#post106256
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Anyone managed to check out the firmware update yet?
How's it sounding?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I think I beat you to it. I actually picked up a variety of brands that state 11-14 dB. So going to test them out this weekend. Wish I had a SPL meter that would go that low to get a true reading, since even if they are let's say 11 dB, a few running at the same time would be nice to see it's level compared to the OMNI or the Mac, but all SPL's go as low as 30 dB. The ones that go lower are in the thousands $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Will be interested in your findings and actual brand/s you like . Kev

Sorry for the delay, was trying different fans till I found the one that works best. I am using SilenX HTPC. It has a controller that you can hook up to 5 fans and the controller has knob for variable speeds. and had put the fan in different positions to see what worked best. I have the Producers Desk from Center and my Mac is on the left side. I have custom fiberglass installed on the front, left, and right sides that is air tight and the rear is half way covered with auralex foam.
So it is a pretty quite, but when it' get's hot (not a good thing for various reasons) the Mac Pro's fans all kick in and it can be heard. So the SilenX came with to fans that I connected both to the front of the mac each one right just in front of the fan that is in the mac, but they are over the grills and pushing air into that mac. With the fornt lid closed it is quite and way less audible than the HD OMNI. When it gets too hot I just turn up the fans speed. I am thinking of getting maybe 2 more fans and putting them on the rear to pull out air.
If there's a way to upload pics here, let me know and I can take pics and share. You'll get a better sense of it.

Here is a link of the unit I am speaking of, Fry's has it for $60:

\http://www.pcflip.com/reviews/coolin...ling-system/2/