Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 AM

Default Pro Tools video issue

Hi,

I'm using a Pro Tools HD rig, v7.4 CS 7, HD 6 (An Icon too).

I've had an ongoing issue with video picture. Basically, anytime I do any function involving video (importing/Putting out of firewire, editing), the 'spinny' ball appears and it take a few minutes to do anything. Bear in mind this is an HD6, and it regularly run 100s of channels of audio with numerous plugins no problem.
It's very frustrating, as if I have to ever (god forbid) makes multiple picture edits, it can take 30 mins to do something which should take 2 mins!!

Also, task manager (searching and importing audio) seems to be a little sluggish as well (could be a related problem?)

I have upgraded from 7.3-4 and CS upgrades and always the same.

Any ideas anyone??
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools video issue

I've had this very often while outputting through Canopus ADVC-100's and ADVC-110's. It's related to the firewire chip in the interfaces and is resolved through rebooting them. Some firewire chip require a particular sequence of plugging/unplugging and turning on/off, but most video interfaces I've had to fiddle with responded to the standard turn off/unplug/wait/plug/turn on dance.

I have seen one instance where the problem you describe followed the video interface onto other systems, no matter how often it was rebooted. After being assigned to other duties, the interface eventually died, so there is the possibility it could be more than a power cycle issue.

You don't mention how you output the video from your PT system, but that is definitely where I'd be looking first.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 AM

I know it all depends on personal workflow, but I have never been happier since I ditched the firewire video out. I now ask for higher res picture - usually HD if the source is such - and it spits out the second DVI slot on my vid card.

I love it!

Don't forget to buy this if you don't have it already:

http://syncheck.com/

IHTH.

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayman65 View Post
Hi,

I'm using a Pro Tools HD rig, v7.4 CS 7, HD 6 (An Icon too).

I've had an ongoing issue with video picture. Basically, anytime I do any function involving video (importing/Putting out of firewire, editing), the 'spinny' ball appears and it take a few minutes to do anything. Bear in mind this is an HD6, and it regularly run 100s of channels of audio with numerous plugins no problem.
Any ideas anyone??
i've experienced this too. one thing it could be...and i'm not 100% sure this is an issue...but i've noticed i have this problem when the permissions on the movie file are set to "read only" or if it's not "owned" by the local computer.

in summary, make sure your permissions on the video clips are set to read/write and owned by the local computer. it might help.

well, hope it helps anyway,
marty.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Avid

Also, what drives are you using for video and audio? Which computer model, etc?