Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Default pro tools not starting up

Im running pro tools 12.5 LE on the system listed below. The consistent problem I have is that the dam program wont even start properly. What it will do is actually let you open the arrange window - but without pro tools actually being open. Only the finder window is open. And mostly it takes a few minutes of the icon bouncing up and down and the coloured ball spinning to even get that far. I turn it all off and on and start again. Sometimes it starts properly and other times like today - not at all.
And Im going to say this - I honestly doubt there is a program on the market so widely used as pro tools that is so unreliable. I use lot of software for all sorts of professional reasons. Nothing comes close to this. Id hate to relying on this for an income.

OS 10.11 Elcapitan
2.8Ghz intel core i5
8Ghz ram
Focusrite saffire interface.
pro tools EL 12.5
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Re: pro tools not starting up

Did it every work OK?

What changed?

Start at the "Help us help you" link up the top of this Web page.

Don't open a session, just Launch Pro tools.

This stuff should be second nature to any Pro Tools user...

Trash prefs.

Try that. If not OK then....

Temp. move all plugins out of the Plugin folder.

Does that work now? If so put plugins back in batches and see if you can find the one causing problems. (Looks like this is not the cause here, but try it anyhow).

If that does not work hold done 'N' while Pro Tools is starting up and select Built-In Output as the playback engine.

El Capitan is a mess, I would not waste a lot of time if the above does not work. Do a clean new install of Sierra (check all your other software and drivers are compatible first) on a separate drive or spare partition and do a new install of ILM and Pro Tools to that. And test. If that is OK reinstall all your plugins and other apps and drivers. Full clean installs do not use migration assassin.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:25 PM

OK thanks very much Daryl. I have done most of that. I upgraded about a year ago to 12.5 and a new imac with El Capitan and have had this problem ever since. It doesnt always happen probably about 50% of the time. But yes I did do a complete re install at one point and remove plug ins. All to no avail. I have done all the pref settings to. So I am assuming its likely to OS related. Sorry about the cranky note - I was particularly frustrated today
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 PM

And you tested using Built In Output?

Did you create a new Admin account and repeat the tests from there?

If you have done most of that then give up on El Crapitan and move to Sierra.

Go grab a new drive to do a full clean install into if you need to, so you don't need to risk your current install and can boot back to that if you run into problems.