Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe because I only beta-tested v7-10

Joking aside, I have noticed that long term PT users have become upset since Avid launched 64-bit PT software, but that shiny new platform is still quite young and that's why we still have the PT10 license available.

You do remember how painful the OS9/OSX transition was? Lots of versions and plugin updates, but in hindsight I would only use 6.4 and 7.2 if using 8.1.1 (Intel-only) was not possible.

And what comes to the roadmap you and many more are hoping, that's not going to happen. If Avid says they plan to do this and that, some lawyer takes that as a promise. Even us moderators who have signed NDA don't get much advance notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when Apple bought Logic. Version 7 had been rock solid. Apple's first incarnation, version 8, was a total bugfest. Digital Performer's first version that supported USB... On certain Macs... none stop stuck notes. Cubase Audio for PC just did NOT work when it was first released. I could go on... and on. All these DAWs go through dodgy periods.

Later versions of PT11 HD were rock solid here. Now I've got the Commit in the Undo History workaround I've gone from dozens of crashes a week to one and that is caused by an avoidable minor S6 bug I think.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

I've heard a tweet that commit in undo will be fixed in 12.5.1 but that if of course a rumor

Old 05-26-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
This is how this whole sorry saga appears to me:

“Give us your money, in advance, for a product that isn’t ready yet ....
As it’s taken us more than a year to get it right, give us more money, if you want what you already paid for, when we finally fix it”!

I feel Avid owes each and every one of us (who has already paid for Pro Tools 12) a free version – when the Noise Blasts issue is fixed.

Oh – and keep the bug fixes free, like you originally posted.
+∞
Old 05-26-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I've heard a tweet that commit in undo will be fixed in 12.5.1 but that if of course a rumor
Wow....My confidence in Avid has been totally restored

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-26-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
To make a statement like this, I'm sure you have Avid supported hardware and have at least tried to move all 3rd party plugins to the unused folder? My system is stable, no "meltdowns" here.

Avid cannot possibly test every hardware out there and even the supported ones (their test grid) is smaller one would want to. For example, 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro which isn't supported anymore but is being used in a lot of studios.

Ok where do I even start here?

Let's see. I have tried 2 PC setups, Windows 10 and 7. And Mac. Although it was El Capitan.

Now I'm running 11.3.2. It works well on both PC setups I had. Solid no major problems.

So what have I done? Optimized. All to the tee with avids recommendations.

Pulled plugins so many times. The access violations come and go. i recently installed 12.4 and had two good days with all my plugs installed. Then vocal edits came. The wheels fell off. Melodyne plus elastic editing melt down.

After that the errors just kept coming. Corrupted my session!

Yes I am using avid hardware. Hdx and a 16x16.

The access violations are crazy hard to attach to a certain plugin. when I want the codes to throw they don't. Not sure what exactly is causing it.

11.3.2 does not do any of these things. It's very reliable. So I stay put.

12.4 is consistently buggy and crashy every time I install it. I have tried it 5 times now. Reinstalled it. Every time it fails.

I wish there was a better way to know if a plugin is the issue.

I will note I bought a brand new skylake setup. Same crap.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 AM

Default Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 &amp; More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I remember when Apple bought Logic. Version 7 had been rock solid. Apple's first incarnation, version 8, was a total bugfest. Digital Performer's first version that supported USB... On certain Macs... none stop stuck notes. Cubase Audio for PC just did NOT work when it was first released. I could go on... and on. All these DAWs go through dodgy periods.

Yeah I remember when PT12 came out and I had to pay a premium fee for the software

And I also was strong armed into paying to keep my software current.....even though Avid WONT write a working driver for core audio support,

Active support plan, yes

Total support from Avid, no!

But keep paying I'm sure it will get better

Now I went over the top just to illuminate the situation a little bit I know ......mea culpa. However if I'm on a plan I would like them to step up and fully support my system
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:50 AM

The one consistent here is 12.4 is a problem every single time. I figured a jump from 11 to 12 would be an easy one. Not a chance. Worst upgrade ever! If these issues are not fixed I'm jumping to Cubase. Already looking at 8.5. New interface as well.

599 and no prorate by avid for the ongoing beta test is not accoeptable. The experience has been terrible. Not one I will partake or pay for again. They need to earn my business. They are not doing that.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Wow....My confidence in Avid has been totally restored

Yes! I think I will renew my HD subscription plan for 1000.00!

Not!

Last edited by zion; 05-26-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Worst upgrade ever!
it always sux when you read about someone struggling with their set up.

just to illuminate the other side of the coin;
for us 12.4 has been our Best upgrade ever.

we started with PT back when it was still Sound Tools
and have done sessions with paying clients every single day
approaching a couple of decades now.
and have never suffered more than minor crashes.

since we switched from HD 10.3.10 to HD 12.4 we have not had even a single crash or error.
and this while running sessions for ex.,
a dub style reggae mix, with dozens of tracks with EA enabled,
tons of automation to throw the effects in and out,
and all kinds of slicing and dicing to rearrange the track;
not even a blip!

as I mentioned in an earlier post
big picture-wise this contretemps
has been a relatively minor disturbance in the force.
but we certainly hope all those with issues get them sorted out…

e
for the record
Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 PM

Surprise not a peep/post from Tony in over 5 days.
Like Elvis he has left the building/forum.

I guess he adheres to the old adage
If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen.

I would say I am disappointed but it’s is par for Avid’s course.

Good job Avid you never fail to disappoint.
TWM

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!