Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Floating windows on top of video

Finally just bumped up to PT 12.6 HD. (OSX El Cap.)

Does anyone yet know of a workaround to the issue of floating windows (transport, counter, etc) still not able to float on top of the video window permanently? i.e. once a dialog box pops up, the focus switches and the floating windows move to the back.
I know for whatever absurd reason, we lost this "feature" back on 11 and shocked (not really) to see that it's still not there even after reading multiple older posts complaining about it going away.

This REALLY screws up certain workflows, especially with things such as a Foley stage, where the artist only has the video screen and needs to see the counter and transport up there at all times.

Please someone tell me I'm missing a new pref somewhere or there's a workaround. I haven't really gotten window config to ever work usefully for me, so not sure it's possible there, though I don't think so.

Thank god that session quick start page was redesigned though. I'm sure people were beating down the down for that one..... sigh.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Floating windows on top of video

I complained about this when PT11 was launched and went through a song and dance with tech support only to be told that's the way it is now.
It's a pain for editorial as well because we like to keep plugins open hiding underneath the video window partly showing so you can pop the plugin forward, do the processing then touch the video window and continue. It's one of many reasons we stayed on PT10.
12 is no better and using window configs won't help.
You know you 're in trouble, for example when they can't get a click track (click II) to work without causing problems. But hey you can cloud collab. Not! I did the paid update and support for 15 months, complete waste of money. Pay to beta test. Not good.