Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Soft Knob Kinetics

The knob kinetics are the NUMBER ONE issue and it's probably the only thing stopping me from adding a Dock to my S3/Artist Transport setup.

I know the guys at Avid will be limited by time/resources/technical issues/various compatibility requirements for a multitude of plugins etc. so I don't want to go on a big rant about it but just sitting here as an end user I can't help thinking 'Jesus Avid, how can you possibly not have addressed this seemingly simple issue yet?'.

It's quite frustrating seeing this go unaddressed when it looks like almost all users agree that it needs improving (going back years if you count the Artist series, which had the same issue).

Anthony_Anz, you have put it well, and I feel the frustration in your post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Please, for the love of whatever deity you believe in, FIX THE KNOBS! This is really disappointing. $1200 for a brand NEW control surface only to have the same OLD problems. AVID, if you're listening.. STOP, just STOP developing whatever your newest invention/gadget/Pro Tools enhancement it is you're working on and FIX this nagging problem.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:32 AM

I like the dock for the attention fader and some things in channel view... but one thing I DO NOT ever use are the rotary encoders because they feel so detached. Horrible feedback. Definitely do not get the dock for the rotary encoders. Until they are linearly smoothly controlled... they are in everyone's opinion that matters, worthless for use.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 AM

J-S-Q, and bobbyguelz. While I totally agree with the knob kinetics after using the Dock for a few days now, with multiple programs like Adobe Premiere and Adobe Lightroom (which do not use the encoders at all) I have to say that I can't let the knob kinetics cloud my overall thoughts on the Dock as a whole. The Dock and the PT Control App have really helped my workflow with those programs. So while the knob kinetics are a bit disappointing the build quality is far superior.

I did originally buy the Dock with the hopes the encoders would respond they way the PT Control app does. I will say again, when controlling parms with my finger using the PT Control app the adjustments are flawless. The issue with the dock has to be related to the kinetics which, in theory, can be fixed.

When weighing in all of the benefits the dock offers for multiple programs, the knob kinetics issue just wasn't enough for me to send it back. I'm glad I kept it and I do recommend it. Just know going in that the knobs need some work.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
The issue with the dock has to be related to the kinetics which, in theory, can be fixed.
Yes, in theory it can be fixed. In reality, this could have been done any time over the last MANY years since the Avid Artist was released and then the S3, and now it's still a problem with the new Dock. The fact that it has remained an issue for SO long when so many users have complained about it doesn't inspire huge confidence that it will ever be addressed.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 AM

I hear you on that one... Kyle at least has addressed it as being important.

It is very sad that this still hasn't been addressed since the artist series came out almost ten years ago.

If Avid focused on resolving all the inherent common sense deficiencies of their control surfaces... such as obviously the rotary encoders as well as other functions that aren't conducive to efficient mixing... then they would have even more users advocating their product to others.

It's like a flashy looking car... looks awesome from the outside... until you get in and realize nothing works and there's a severely under powered engine.

I feel like with some of us in the community constantly voicing these issues... hopefully Avid will realize that actual users want to enjoy their hardware instead of always feeling underwhelmed by products that are crippled from the get go with cracks in the fabric of functionality.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM

hey Bobby, totally agreed. Good point about the issue kicking around for so long. That's disappointing. Let's hope if we keep this thread alive it will gain some more traction...
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Anyone have any news on this? The Avid guys at AES didn't seem to be aware of this issue.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
Anyone have any news on this? The Avid guys at AES didn't seem to be aware of this issue.
It's quite possible the salesman don't really know about technical issues. I do think it's wise for us to keep mentioning these issues at trade shows such as AES.. maybe they will eventually start relying our frustration.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:24 PM

This is a serious issue. The knobs are too fast or too slow. Linear at a speed between the two would be better, or a much better algorithm for adjusting speed. Not sure which would be best, but there could be a stab taken at the latter, then offer current and new dynamic speed and fixed speed maybe with slow medium and fast as options selectable from a soft key or in EuControl prefs (or both).
Old 10-16-2016, 05:56 PM

I agree... Feel like the only thing that will ever get Avid to make certain changes... is enough constant noise. In my opinion, certain issues like this are just ridiculous... It's like creating a vehicle that doesn't steer properly... If you make a product for Mixers... it should be able to aid the mixer... not inhibit the mixer.

I for one... almost NEVER use the knobs... Because it feels so detached and unnatural to use. Horrible experience. Flip everything to the faders when I need to. Would seem this would be a no brainer issue to address.

But alas... will they? I guess not if enough people keep buying the controllers without realizing the severe issues.