Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-21-2000, 02:10 PM
Avid

Default Re: ok, what\'s going on w/ exploding sound?!

Cool, I'll be awaiting your results.

-bryan
Old 09-21-2000, 06:36 PM

Ok - here are the results.

Changing patch assignments to 'none' on first one, then all the midi tracks had no effect.

Leaving the Synth on or off had no effect.

On a hunch, I tried deleting the last thing I remembered adding before the problem, which was mute automation on the aux input in question at 3.1.00.

I deleted the one automation point and the explosions vanished. I then added it back, and guess what . Gone. I repeated playback over 100 times and the explosion was gone. I aborted the session, then redid this whole thing with the original session. Same exact results. First explosions, then none.

I'm happy now. Some weird corruption or something in that one mute automation point. Yet you never got it reproduced on your computer, which is also very weird.

DanXx had said above that he got rid of a problem by deleting eq. I got rid of mine by deleting and reentering automation. Maybe deleting/reentering things is the strategy when encountering bizzarre little gremlins in PTLE?
Old 09-22-2000, 12:59 AM

Hi bryan -- Nord is connected to MOTU fastlane USB using OMS. An R8 is also connected to the same fastlane. Audio of both are direct into 001. I'll try removing patch assignment tonight (I'm on east coast). I think you may be on to something with the patch loading.

Also - I'm pretty sure I tried it with Nord off and unplugged, but I'll try it again, just to be extra sure. There was definitely no audio explosion coming in the nord Aux channel, at least the meters indicated so. Keep me informed if you have other suggestions. I'll post back as soon as I can
Old 09-22-2000, 10:16 AM
Avid

Yontz- interesting. It's hard to say what is causing that. It could be something as silly as a corrupt program file or preferences. I'm don't think it's a simple glitch because there is a pattern- you put down a mute point that doesn't truely work until it's deleted and put down again.

One thing to be careful of however is putting down some midi controller info (program changes, mutes and possibly super steep controller 7 info) so close to note on events. In my midi experiences I've come to the conclusion that data like that should be offset a few ticks before or after note ons to advoid pops and clicks.

I mentioned the FX unit because I remembered how my own DP/4 deals with program changes... depending on the effect being used it quite often will emit a decent pop when you change the program. Synths normally deal with this be muting themselves for a split second while they load in the new program... but I haven't worked with every synth out there and I wouldn't be surprised if some act like my DP/4 does.

Anyway, to eliminate your problem completely a good bet would be to try re-copying the pro tools app over from the CDROM and trashing it's preferences. I need to re-read everybody else's posts here and see where they are at. I'll have Brent watch your posts to see if you need further troubleshooting.

-bryan
Old 09-22-2000, 10:19 AM
Avid

ok, after re-reading everything I think the best thing to do is simply ask... anybody else still unresolved on this issue?

-bryan
Old 09-22-2000, 04:20 PM

yep i'm still getting blasted.
I have tried every suggestion posted.
still random, recording, playback, bouncedown, automation, no automation, different locations for computer, standing on one leg.

at least from the posts i'm not the only one
(although digi seem to be convinced it's only limited problem with couple of "vague" cases.)

When did this problem first appear on the duc?

I live in hope, my ears are threatening to leave me.

Lunch out

Old 09-22-2000, 04:45 PM

I think it has something to do with automation. I have done one other session (22 tracks of vocals and 2 imported bounce tracks) since and had no screeching sound or whatever people are calling it. On this session I still had a popping sound then no output from the aux channel. Compressor and eq digiplugs were on. I don't no what else to say as we are going back and forth on this issue.
Old 09-25-2000, 01:29 PM

When ever I record a track and play it back I hear a great crack of a sound. On close inspection there has been recorded 10 - 100mS of almost full volume crunch. This I can remove. It is regardless of input and and always seems to come at the end or near the end of a recording.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:37 PM
Avid

I'm at an impasse guys, I can't think of what's causing this and I can't reproduce it here.

Lemme think on it a little while and get back to you in a few days.

-Bryan
Old 10-12-2000, 10:54 AM

....oops, it's just started with me too, big digi-tal stab of noiz, in a session wit automation, whilst on the bouncedown, + in playback, pretty random...but sounds very bad for my speakers....will try disabling automation...let ya know....