Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Exclamation Can't drag midi into midi/instrument track from os or ezdrummer/addictive drums

I'm having a really weird issue. Running pt 9.02 in osx 10.6.7, I seem to have lost the ability to drag midi files from finder onto a midi/instrument track. This goes for any midi, including grooves from ezdrummer or addictive drums plugin library to instrument track.

Strangely enough, I can drag midi/grooves just fine into Abelton live.

This didn't happen in 9.01

Please help.

I tried trashing database and preference files per the kb article. No success. Has anyone come across this before?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Can't drag midi into midi/instrument track from os or ezdrummer/addictive drums

What actually happens, do they grooves just fail to show up?
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Can't drag midi into midi/instrument track from os or ezdrummer/addictive drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
What actually happens, do they grooves just fail to show up?
I see a little rectangle when dragging and then nothing happens in pt. Pt doesn't even acknowledge where I'm moving the mouse by showing the start position of the groove/midi if that makes any sense.

I hope I'm explaining properly.

Ignore my sig, that's my old rig.

please lend some guidance, i can't lay down beat if i can't drag grooves from the plugin window. manually importing midi works, but that would be a nightmare. i used to be able to do this in 9.01, i don't know what happened.

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM

no one has seen this issue on a Mac???

I know it's happened to me on windows before and i've read many posts about it in windows.

i tried doing a clean uninstall, deleting any remnants of the folders and reinstalling, same issue.

next i'll try creating a new administrator user and loading the protools from there...

Please help...

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Avid

I'd be interested in hearing if the new administrator account works.

According to the Toontrack FAQ, this usually has to do with permissions - but their info only applied to Windows and the solution was to make sure to run Pro Tools as admin.

Since it appears you're already doing that, I would also look at permissions for the drive, folder and Pro Tools session as well as any folders in the session folder, as they may have incorrect permissions.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I'd be interested in hearing if the new administrator account works.

According to the Toontrack FAQ, this usually has to do with permissions - but their info only applied to Windows and the solution was to make sure to run Pro Tools as admin.

Since it appears you're already doing that, I would also look at permissions for the drive, folder and Pro Tools session as well as any folders in the session folder, as they may have incorrect permissions.
thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate it. Apologies for getting a bit flustered. It's driving me crazy.

Ok. that said, let me give further background.

My boot hd is a solid state drive which is only 120gb. My users folder is on a seperate hd. (a wd raptor 10,000rpm 300gb drive). By enabling the root user, and adding the following line to the fstab file, the raptor hd is loaded directly into /users instead of volumes. A symbolic link is automatically created, and it's entirely seamless. The /users folder was set to chmod 755.
(not my real uuid for the drive, just an example)
UUID=84BA91DE-C37F-F13D-B5C9-FECA5184DEB7 /Users hfs auto,nobrowse

This is to accommodate huge library files and prevent my boot drive from getting over stuffed with random crap. Also makes restoring in the case of emergency a hell of a lot faster.

The exact steps that i followed (4 total, very easy) can be found here:

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/...partition.html

It's worked gloriously, and my mac litterally take between 7-10 seconds to boot. Have done it this way since pt 8.05 with no issues.

In PT 9.01, I didn't have this issue with the dragging of midi/grooves into ProTools. As I already said, when running a seperate daw (ableton live), i have no issue dragging midi into it from finder, or grooves from addictive drums/ez drummer when they are loaded as plugins in A.L.

SO, i created a new test admin account and found that the problem persists. no joy with midi.

Performed a hard boot and performed a verify/repair disk from disk utility.

i backed up my plugins/plugins settings folders and wiped pt completely. Performed a reboot and reinstalled.

Same issue.

I loaded the mac console and kept it open while i tried to drag midi into PT, there was no entry that popped up that I could pinpoint as being "the cause". Every other extraneous launch daemon or app was disabled or closed prior to opening PT.

Maybe if you could help me by answering some questions for me:
1) i agree that it is might be a permissions issue but i'm spinning my wheels here. What aspect of PT, whether file, prefence, plist, or what have you, is responsible for enabling the "drag and drop" functionality of midi into protools. If you could tell me that I can attack the issue at the source.

2) My users folder is set to chmod 755 which like i said didn't give me any issues with PT 9.01.

Below are the folder attributes for ezdrummer/addictive drums/users:

(username has been replaced with astericks for privacy)

MacPro:~ ****$ GetFileInfo /EZDrummer
directory: "/EZDrummer"
attributes: avbstclinmedz
created: 05/25/2011 16:57:20
modified: 05/26/2011 15:33:29
MacPro:~ ****$
MacPro:~ ****$ GetFileInfo /Library/Application\ Support/Addictive\ Drums
directory: "/Library/Application Support/Addictive Drums"
created: 07/28/2006 22:46:15
modified: 10/22/2010 16:27:28
MacPro:~ ****$ GetFileInfo /Library/Application\ Support/Addictive\ Drums/Factory\ Presets
directory: "/Library/Application Support/Addictive Drums/Factory Presets"
created: 07/28/2006 22:06:16
modified: 10/22/2010 16:27:28
MacPro:~ ****$ GetFileInfo /Usersdirectory: "/Users"
created: 05/20/2011 23:09:29
modified: 05/27/2011 11:40:15

i loaded the "legion" test session and everything works Except dragging midi into Protools.

My head is going to explode. I've been googling pt and midi for a day straight and i think no one on the planet has had this issue but me. :-(

please help... i've tried to be as thorough as possible...

Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Well after two days of googling I found this. It's from 2006 and relates to some guy trying to drag midi into logic. So another Mac person has had something similar happen. Albeit years ago... Sigh

http://www.musiclab.com/community/fo...2115443971cdf5

Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Gonna try to roll back to 9.01

If it still happens then I guess I'll Reimage my Mac. I do hope digi support will get back to me on the two questions I asked though.

Any other forum members successfully using an ssd/sata drive scenario successfully?

My tech-centric brain would like to know the how and why of this issue...