Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Default PT Using Axiom 49 - Intermittent during playback

I'm still going through some of the logical steps, but thought I would give a shout out if anyone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction quickly:

Pro Tools 7.4.2 (Mac - Leopard)
Digi003 Rack
M-Audio Axiom 49 Midi Controller

using Xpand! for plugins.... (I just updated this version this morning because I got the dreaded yellow screen!)

Everything works perfectly when I practice in Xpand! and during recording. No issues. It appears the midi recorded is correct as well....the pulses look correct to what I played. However, when I playback the file, it misses some of the hits. Just volumes them out. Also, it appears some of the effects are lost (sustain for example on a natural piano). No choppiness to the program, runs perfectly smooth. It's all dependent on playback spot as well. If one midi hit does not register (but i can see it), i simply change my cursor position just before it, and then i can hear it. But others will fail later on. Appears to get worse the further you get along the track.

Not sure if this makes complete sense, but it looks to be more software related in pro tools than anything else.

One thing that I'm not sure I've done right is my connection - USB from axiom direct to MAC. Not midi in/out to the digi. Should I do this? I don't have the connections so I need to purchase if that's the case.

I have used this keyboard to record with other programs (Live, Garageband) with no problems.

Anyone with any thoughts would be great!

- Mark
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT Using Axiom 49 - Intermittent during playback

Your connections look right - Pro Tools is getting a proper MIDI input.

A few things to try - first, disconnect the Axiom and try playback in Pro Tools. If it works, then the Axiom is probably sending some kind of MIDI messages (like volume or something) that are affecting playback.

Another thing to try:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

Lastly, trashing Pro Tools preferences per the info in the General Troubleshooting link may be helpful as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Re: PT Using Axiom 49 - Intermittent during playback

thanks, but no dice. gave them all a try. I am going to try the route of the garbage messages from the axiom. I really did a plug and play on this....I didn't set up the axiom to work with the protools controls, so I think I will try to program in my own bank on the axiom for use with protools, and see if that helps at all. Maybe some of the settings and controls on the axiom presently are causing the issues.

It still doesn't make sense that it would work when i practice, and sound fine when I record, but be completely different when I playback. Protools must not be picking everything up from Xpand in my opinion......that's where the sounds and effects come from. or are they routed through the midi and then back out?

any other thoughts?

mark