Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Stupid iLok Thing

So all my USB ports have been taken up with my Pro Tools Duet by Apogee and the stupid iLok...meaning I can't plug in the new midi keyboard I just bought as it too is powered by USB.

Can people offer solutions please? I've tried plugging in a USB extension but the iLok doesn't seem to register on it and the midi keyboard isn't recognised. Will it make a difference if I buy a mains powered USB extension?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Default Stupid iLok Thing

Yes, a powered USB hub will solve your problem. Make sure to get a USB2 hub as USB3 is known to be problematic with the iLok.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Stupid iLok Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Yes, a powered USB hub will solve your problem. Make sure to get a USB2 hub as USB3 is known to be problematic with the iLok.
And make sure that USB2 hub is not powered by the USB port but by a wallwart or line lump supply.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM

That stupid ilok thingy ain't goin' nowhere, is what it is, accept it and move on my friend.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
That stupid ilok thingy ain't goin' nowhere, is what it is, accept it and move on my friend.
Yep, best option is try to be friends with the ilok key and try your best to get along if you wanna use PT and certain plugins going forward

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiddleton View Post
So all my USB ports have been taken up with my Pro Tools Duet by Apogee and the stupid iLok...meaning I can't plug in the new midi keyboard I just bought as it too is powered by USB.

Can people offer solutions please? I've tried plugging in a USB extension but the iLok doesn't seem to register on it and the midi keyboard isn't recognised. Will it make a difference if I buy a mains powered USB extension?

Many thanks in advance!
Buy one of these stupidly low priced hubs, comes with power supply too!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 AM

Well I can actually agree that it is stupid to require iLok key for iLok authorization, because iLok itself supports hard drive authorizations.

It would be great if PT could be moved there -- not because the iLok key is a stupid thing, but because of the fact that since PT9 the software is constantly checking for license and it is not enough that the license is available when the software is launching.

Imagine a perfect performance that couldn't been recorded because of an iLok fluke (it is easy to get the key disconnected...)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiddleton View Post

Many thanks in advance!
As has been suggested, a USB hub is a good idea. You don't mention what computer you have but it's probably a Mac if you have an Apogee interface? Macs with USB3 can be problematic. I've been to hell and back with a 12 core 2013 trash can. I went through six, yes SIX USB 2 and 3 hubs before I found one that worked reliably and that would be this chap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Po...7+port+USB+hub

Super reliable. It has NEVER failed to recognise a device or drop a connection unlike every other hub I tried. Reassuringly it is constructed of metal. You could literally drive a car over it! I know it's expensive but it just works on USB3 Macs if that's what you have.

BTW, I actually like iLoks. Mine has over 200 licences on it. Imagine challenge/response authorisation for 200 licences!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I went through six, yes SIX USB 2 and 3 hubs before I found one that worked reliably
Huh
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Huh
Check out the Apple discussion forums. I'm not the first to have had issues with USB3 equipped Macs, external drives dropping data etc. That's were I found out about the Startech hub.

Granted I have a lot of stuff connected but even so, most hub's should work reliably but sometimes don't.