Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-02-2002, 11:45 PM

Default What recording software besides PT uses Native style plugins?

just curious......

Digital Performer is VST right?
Logic is VST right?
Nuendo is VST right?

Cubase is ???
Sonar is PC only???

OK, .....ProTools is Native......

what else is Native?

My Waves, and Bombfactory Native Plugins wouldnt work in DP or Logic.....etc? so besides ProTools what other options are there?

VST style plugins.....are they even good?
i heard not as good compared to the Native style options.

The reason im asking is cause im just wondering if i would like Digital Performe for a future purchase?
it looks pretty nice, even Logic does too.....
especially since they are DUAL supported.

* just worrying for the future
(down the line when my current g4 dies or something, and i would have to buy a new G4 and recording software)
it just looks odd that when you look at the apple page, and you see that DIGI is like the only company that doesnt support DUAL G4s.
so i wonder if they will get their act together down the line. seems like everyone is burning them in the dust with staying on the bleeding edge of the G4 world.

how long do you think a well maintained
533 G4 would last anyway? (i shouldve bought 2 damn it...one for backup....these new G4s seem sketchy....especially with fan noise, and compatibility....etc.....)

everything is working so perfect with my current set up, i hate thinking about the day i would have to switch my whole setup. especially when i hear the horrors the new g4s are giving our DIGI people, it makes me freak out, you know?
[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 11:38 AM

Default Re: What recording software besides PT uses Native style plugins?

Digital Performer uses MAS plug ins. You can get software by AudioEase called "VST Wrapper" to use VST plugs in DP for an additional cost.

All of these systems (RTAS, MAS, VST, AudioUnits) are Native in the sense that they use the computer's processor rather than a proprietary DSP card. (Ignoring for now the half & half solutions such as the UAD1 and Powercore).

Sonar uses DirectX which is also host based, or native processing.

Only TDM systems and other DSP systems (Creamware, etc) use non-native plug-ins.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:06 PM

Also, your Waves and Bomb Factory plugins will work in Digital Performer as well (the Waves plugins will also run as VST plugins for that matter). For Waves, you just need to load in an MAS shell into your plugin folder. I imagine it would be similar for Bomb Factory. As Shawn said, they'd all be considered "native" plugins.

-Duardo
Old 10-03-2002, 06:49 PM

oh, ok,......i see my mistake....so i should have been saying RTAS instead of Native......

so are the VST plugins like RTAS.....in the sense that they can be used in Real Time....do they also have an Audio Suite feature.....that you can just print the effect to the track as well?
So thats cool if thats true........then youre really not missing out on anything.....especially the killer Waves and Bombfactory plugins if you were on a VST based software.......
i thought that they worked with different plugin companies all together.......
well that makes me feel kind of better.....

* so basically when you buy any Native style Plugins, you have an option on what recording software you can use it on.......RTAS or VST based. RIGHT?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 08:36 PM

Peter,

It really depends on the manufacturer. For instance, Waves works with any host program (VST, RTAS, AS, TDM, MAS, DirectX, etc). Some (McDSP?) only work RTAS/TDM and are only available for Protools. There are a plethora of VST plugs that are only available as VST. Just because it is a native plug doesn't mean it is available in multiple formats.

Are you looking to switch platforms? Or just curious? are there specific plugs that you are worried about?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:04 PM

more curious i think. just considering the options for any future purchases.
getting educated i guess.

thanks DUC people... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]