Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 05:27 AM

Default De ess and ISDN recording

Hi

This is a question for anyone who records voices. I have noticed that when recording some women's voices by ISDN that I get quite a lot of sibillance. I have a de-ess plug in for Pro Tools, but the recordings seem to
go a bit muddy when I apply it enough to take the "ess" off. It seems to just be an ISDN issue. Once recorded I am heavily compressing the files- in order to get a decent level for the internet - and reducing the (MP3) file sizes fairly severely. When I do the
problem gets even worse. Is there something I can ask the voices to do at their end (apart from taking hormones and getting a new set of teeth).

I have been told that this can be a particular problem with old CDQ2000 codecs. The recording settings that I nearly always work with are Layer 2 mono at 128k.

Regards,

MHvoiceuk
Old 02-14-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Re: De ess and ISDN recording

Having worked for years on CDQ2000 and now also a Prima230, the CDQ does lack a little in AD/DA. However, at Layer 2/128 it sounds more like a source problem. Microphone choice with females is critical. Perhaps a good ribbon mike would help.