Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-21-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Will PT202x have Midi 2.0?

Maybe a bit premature but could the boffins at Avid be working on Midi 2.0, at least the early stages. Maybe why midi has not got much love, they are saving it all up. Could also be 5 years down the track. Steinberg are definitely working on it.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Will PT202x have Midi 2.0?

For all we know, Avid will not announce working on it until it is released.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM

And the chance of seeing that this year at all is 10000000000000/1 so that should answer that!

PT has never been a Midi DAW and will never be as it has been too long and too many features Avid missed so if we do t even have ARA yet tells a lot of what is in the pipeline. Midi gets some small fixes every year but PT is an Audio Recording and mixing DAW so better to do what 99.99% of people needing MIDI implementations of the 21st century does and get a second DAW for production and use PT for audio and mix as no other DAW is soo close to Console mixing and tape recording as PT. For us who loves Hardware and console work PT owns that space and other DAW’s own the Midi side.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-22-2020, 02:55 AM

Yes completely agree that PT great DAW. I used to have Cubase and it drove me crazy and then made switch to PT. I left the question open to PT202x so that could be PT2029.12. I have just been reading up on Midi 2.0 and looks like there could be many possibilities i.e. external hardware recall and integration with many types of devices, much more user friendly information exchange between DAW and devices, tighter timing and more resolution etc. It is possible all DAWs won't be able to ignore it.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 08-22-2020, 03:25 AM

I'm sure PT and other DAW's will get MIDI 2.0 eventually, but the thing is, even MIDI sequencers do not have it yet... shun me if you want to, but IMO "DAW" like Logic is a sequencer to begin with and audio features are added extra. PT is the other way around. Pretty safe to assume "every" other system has it before PT.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:11 PM

I like the way MIDI is implemented in ProTools. It's the best inline MIDI editing implementation that I'm aware of.

I would like to see it kept bug-free and responsive. There have been versions where certain features were broken (realtime volume controller response, for example) or there were problems with slowdowns editing & displaying data. And of course problems with hosting VI's at low buffers.

Every time people get into a discussion about what PT MIDI is missing in terms of features, it sounds like a lot of esoteric stuff that I don't need or even want. I think Avid did a good job of implementing MIDI in a way that played off existing strengths (great clean UI, great inline editing.) I can see how some people might want an arpeggiator or drum channel, and if they can do it without introducing bugs, I wouldn't care either way. Been a MIDI user since 1991 or so. Wow, coming on 30 years. :0

Last edited by Philthy; 08-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I like the way MIDI is implemented in ProTools. It's the best inline MIDI editing implementation that I'm aware of.

I would like to see it kept bug-free and responsive. There have been versions where certain features were broken (realtime volume controller response, for example) or there were problems with slowdowns editing & displaying data. And of course problems with hosting VI's at low buffers.

Every time people get into a discussion about what PT MIDI is missing in terms of features, it sounds like a lot of esoteric stuff that I don't need or even want. I think Avid did a good job of implementing MIDI in a way that played off existing strengths (great clean UI, great inline editing.) I can see how some people might want an arpeggiator or drum channel, and if they can do it without introducing bugs, I wouldn't care either way. Been a MIDI user since 1991 or so. Wow, coming on 30 years. :0
I feel pretty much the same way. Many of our productions are at least half MIDI, and all are done in Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-22-2020, 03:23 PM

Having come from DP and then Logic, I like Pro Tools MIDI, and I don't need it to do a lot. But a few very basic edit capabilities would be great.

In the Main Edit Window (not MIDI editor), if you cut an area in the middle of a sustained MIDI note, nothing happens to the actual note, just the block gets cut.

In other software such as Logic Pro, an option window appears that says "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split."

Can we have this functionality in Pro Tools?
Old 08-23-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Having come from DP and then Logic, I like Pro Tools MIDI, and I don't need it to do a lot. But a few very basic edit capabilities would be great.

In the Main Edit Window (not MIDI editor), if you cut an area in the middle of a sustained MIDI note, nothing happens to the actual note, just the block gets cut.

In other software such as Logic Pro, an option window appears that says "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split."

Can we have this functionality in Pro Tools?
Put the midi track in note view, and you can split (command + e) the notes at the cursor just like an audio file. I always put MIDI tracks into note view... I wish that was the default view. I find the region view to be pretty much useless. Note view used to be the default view and at some point they broke it and never fixed it. I know it's broken because in note view, a new MIDI track does a neat thing where it centers the vertical display around the notes in a new recording. Also you can do a ton of things in note view and next to nothing in region view. This is what I mean about wishing Avid would focus on making MIDI responsive and stable over all else.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Thanks Phil. Yes, I do this a lot, but the only problem is that if in your selection there are any audio clips at all, then Command-E will not work on the MIDI tracks. So if you are looking to edit large segments, you can't do MIDI and Audio together (as you can so easily do in Logic).

Here's my routine:

1. Select MIDI area/multiple tracks with sustained notes. Or select an overlapping region with more than one MIDI track.
2. Hit “B” to separate (not command B).
3. Select the Minus sign (to the left of the plus sign) to go to Notes View for all tracks
4. Hit “B” again to separate (not command B).
5. Select the Minus sign to go back to Clips view and then delete the section

NOTE: YOU CAN RAPID FIRE THESE KEY COMMANDS:
B to - then B to - again, then B, then delete (B,-,B,-B)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MIDI MERGE BUTTON UNSELECTED
MAKE SURE NO AUDIO TRACKS ARE SELECTED TOO