Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 AM

Default Strike, really only 4/4 available?

Hi everyone

I was wondering if it is really true that strike can only process 4/4, no 3/4 or 6/8 at all. I could not find any way of changing the meter. Does any of you know more about this? Thanks mucho!
Avoli
Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM

You can change the meter in the Pro Tools in the tempo bar. Strike will play that time signature when the playback hits it.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Strike, really only 4/4 available?

Correct, It works for me.
Set the time signature 3/4 by changing the "current meter" right above the tempo on the transport.

A song that starts in 3/4 & then goes to 4/4.
I do that by going to >Event >>Time Operations & selecting "Change meter".
So now Pro Tools is successfuly changing from 3/4 to 4/4 where I want in the song.
Strike is even performing meter changes in real time with pro tools so far.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM

It would be nice to actually have some other grooves, not only 4/4 related ones. Strike does follow time signature changes, no problem. Problem is that some of the grooves sound funny, if you shorten bar by one beat for example ( to 3/4). I recommended to Digidesign long time ago suggestions to include stuff like jazz waltz, ballroom dance waltz, and several 5/4, and 7/4 grooves in their upgrade. So far no response. I'm wondering if Strike has a design limitation that prevents it to have other rhythms than 4/4 oriented in the styles bank( 12/8 still falls into 4/4 category) ?
Chris7514
Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorationx View Post
Correct, It works for me.
Set the time signature 3/4 by changing the "current meter" right above the tempo on the transport.

A song that starts in 3/4 & then goes to 4/4.
I do that by going to >Event >>Time Operations & selecting "Change meter".
So now Pro Tools is successfuly changing from 3/4 to 4/4 where I want in the song.
Strike is even performing meter changes in real time with pro tools so far.

Perhaps an easier way... When you reach a point in a file where you wish a meter change, click on the starting point of the new meter (say in grid mode), and then select the meter tab at the left below bars/beats and timeline. A window will open allowing you to select the time sig as well as how you wish the metronome to click.. ie: I went from 4/4 with 1/4 note click to 9/16, 16th note click, and back.. simple as pie.

Peace!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
It would be nice to actually have some other grooves, not only 4/4 related ones. Strike does follow time signature changes, no problem. Problem is that some of the grooves sound funny, if you shorten bar by one beat for example ( to 3/4). I recommended to Digidesign long time ago suggestions to include stuff like jazz waltz, ballroom dance waltz, and several 5/4, and 7/4 grooves in their upgrade. So far no response. I'm wondering if Strike has a design limitation that prevents it to have other rhythms than 4/4 oriented in the styles bank( 12/8 still falls into 4/4 category) ?
Chris7514
I don't see where it would be a design limitation, especially when Strike will follow the TS of the session, and even the patterns it displays are consistent with TS. And it is true that many of the grooves don't lend themselves well to alternate TS's, but they're not that hard to modify either.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
I'm wondering if Strike has a design limitation that prevents it to have other rhythms than 4/4 oriented in the styles bank( 12/8 still falls into 4/4 category)?
12/8 a dotted crotchet is not a 4/4 Simple Time division.

filosofem