Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Default Recovering VST sounds from external hard drive

Recently my computer crashed and I lost a lot of files, applications, etc.. I was able to recover most of my content from my external hard drive. I backed everything up every day.

However, when I used Pro Tools Express and opened Xpand2, there were no sounds available to use. It said I needed to locate the file "....Xpand2.big". I found that on my external hard drive but was unable to actually click on it for some reason.

I'm hoping somebody has had this problem before and knows how to solve it. It would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 12.03.15 AM.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 12.03.31 AM.jpg (32.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Recovering VST sounds from external hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def-X View Post
Recently my computer crashed and I lost a lot of files, applications, etc.. I was able to recover most of my content from my external hard drive. I backed everything up every day.

However, when I used Pro Tools Express and opened Xpand2, there were no sounds available to use. It said I needed to locate the file "....Xpand2.big". I found that on my external hard drive but was unable to actually click on it for some reason.

I'm hoping somebody has had this problem before and knows how to solve it. It would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Andy
Seeing as how you haven't given us any system details it's going to take some Sherlock Holmes deduction to figure out your problem. From your one screen shot it looks like you may be using some revision of Yosemite and PT Express is definitely NOT supported on that version of OSX. The last supported OSX was Mountain Lion. PT Express is a version of PT10 which is why the 'not supported' for anything after ML. It can run on Mavericks but the uninstaller doesn't work. And on Yosemite there's the issue of plugins not showing on the track insert selection menus until you mouse over them. Not to mention other issues.

All that being said the only solutions to your problem are to either use an OSX version that's supported or to upgrade to PT12. Even then you may well need a new interface.

PS: Oh yeah - PT does NOT use vst format plugins. Only RTAS or aax.

QAPLA!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Thank you for responding even though the post was poorly worded. I'm not too tech-savvy as you probably guessed. I'm going to try to use a different OSX and see how that goes
Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def-X View Post
Thank you for responding even though the post was poorly worded. I'm not too tech-savvy as you probably guessed. I'm going to try to use a different OSX and see how that goes
If you're computer acme with Yosemite on it you won't be able to backdate to another version of OSX. That being said it pays to pay attention to the system requirements of any software you are using before you change operating system versions. And always have a backup in case things go south. Carbon Copy Cloner is one that I use.

For future reference you can never give too much info (system and otherwise) when asking for help here. Hope you get it sorted and if you do post back here and let us know how you did it. That way it can help others who might have the problem in the future.

QAPLA!