Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Waves EQs compatible/available for PT 08 Digi 003

Hello,

Though it doesn't feel like it, I guess I have an *old* Pro Tools system now. I'm running PT8 on my G5 PPC with osx 10.5.8. I'm looking to find and purchase some of the Waves plug-ins that would be compatible with my setup but haven't really found what I'm looking for on the Waves website.

Does anyone have any info/recommendations for me (sans buying a whole new PT11/Macbook Pro system)?

Thanks,
Growlyman
Old 07-28-2013, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Waves EQs compatible/available for PT 08 Digi 003

Hi, you can get the plugs you want from Waves. They will downgrade the Version from the current 9 to version 7 which will work on your machine.

You can email or call waves and explain you would like Q 10 but need it to work with your PPC G5 and 10.5.8. You can get the Native power pack fairly cheap these days and it will give you Compressors, EQs, Limiters and Stereo field spreaders etc.

I use the Native power pack for Mastering.

I have done this before when i had an older system and waves plugs.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks Chris for the info. I did as suggested and wrote Waves. This was their response:

"Dear Sir;
Unfortunately, iLok authorizations are no longer available for Waves products in V6, V7 and V8, only V9 with the new Waves Licensing system.
Since your system is not compatible with Waves V9 (Mac PPC) you will not will able to use new Waves products with this current setup.

If you need further assistance feel free to contact us or visit http://www.waves.com/support
Best Regards,
Tomer Na'amani
Waves Technical Support Staff"

Seems that even if I were to buy an old license from someone else, Waves wouldn't support the iLok authorization. Could that be true? I mean, would Waves make iLok a thing of the past making their old plug-ins unusable to those who already purchased them?

Growly
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM

I have version 8 of Platinum and Version 7 of a few others on an iLok and they still authorize. As Chris said, they DID downgrade new purchases on request before. Maybe they have ceased doing it now?? But existing iLok auths will still work. At least for me they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Hopefully the new iLok hasn't put an end to waves downgrades.

What's old is the G5. A used Mac mini could be a great inexpensive solution.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:26 PM

I guess the thing about it is that I've been burned too many times in the past with "upgrades" from one computer, OS, update to the latest-and-greatest. What starts out being a simple quest to upgrade to a few nicer plug-ins here and there ends up being quite the expense with more purchases made than expected in order to have a working platform that will run the new plug-in I wanted in the 1st place. My first burn was from PTLE 5 on OS9 to PTLE 6 on OS X on my G4 MDD. It glitched my session so badly, I never used it again and held out on PTLE 5 from 2003 til I made the leap to PT8/Digi003/G5 back in 2009. What I learned is 'if it ain't broke ... don't go broke fixing it." I've been treating my Pro Tools setup the way we used to treat old analog studios: buy the best you can at the time, upgrade a piece here and there if justifiable and LOCK IT IN PLACE. Right now, I can't justify a whole revamp of my system and I fear the "huh, that doesn't work anymore" nightmare of plug-ins/software/hardware compatibilities ...

Forgive the mini-rant. I guess I am getting old.

I guess at this point, can anyone recommend some good EQ upgrades that will still work with my current system. The Avid EQIII just doesn't cut it for me and the Meekquilizer is a bit limited. I'd like something with some real functionality, but sounds warm. the EQIII just sounds too brittle and distorted to my ears.

Thanks friends.
Growly
Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 PM

The Sonnox EQ would fit what you are asking for but a mac mini and any of a number of Intel-compatible plug-ins would probably cost less.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Amazing that a new computer is cheaper than many plugins.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM

A used computer, not a new one.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM

I am currently using Waves plugs Version 8 with Ilok auths.

I also have a few Version 9 Waves plugs which also use Ilok Auths. I am not using any new Waves authorization that is not ilok.

I am not sure why they say you cant have ilok authorizations with Version 8 now since that is exactly how i am using this.

I just upgraded to Pro tools 10 a month ago. Before that i was using Pro tools 8.0.5 and Version 8 Waves plugs with my original ilok ( not the new ilok 2).

I have also bought many plugs that were a version i could not use, and Waves customer support downgraded them to the version i could use. Dont know why they have stopped doing that. 6 months ago i bought Waves tune lite which was version 9 and they downgraded it to version 8 so it would work with Pro tools 8.0.5.

In fact, every time i bought waves, i had to have the version downgraded for it to work on my older system. I have on my ilok surrendered Waves 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 and 9 currently. For each of those if i used 5.0, 6 was current and my system wouldnt use it. etc etc. Even now, i am on 8 for most of my plugs, while 9.0 is the current version.

Sorry that they have stopped downgraded plugs. This will limit some of their business sales.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7