Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Question Difference of I/O Midi In/Out etc

Newbie here, and trying to learn.

Is there a good tutorial, to tell the difference and learn about function of each of these:

1. I/O (Audio In)
2. I/O (Audio Out)
3. Instrument (Midi Input)
4. Instrument (Midi Output)
5. Inserts
6. Sends
7. Audio/Aux/Midi/Instrument Tracks

Thanks (Start with simple explanation first )
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Difference of I/O Midi In/Out etc

I like the Groove3 collection of videos.
http://www.groove3.com/str/
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi69 View Post
Newbie here, and trying to learn.

Is there a good tutorial, to tell the difference and learn about function of each of these:

1. I/O (Audio In)

How audio gets into ProTools. The number of input connections you have on your actual audio hardware gives you the number of possible I/O (Audio IN) in the software. You plug a microphone, for instance, into an input on your hardware and Pro Tools will record it if you have that I/O (input) selected on a track.

2. I/O (Audio Out)

How audio gets out of ProTools. The number of output connections you have on your actual audio hardware gives you the number of possible I/O (Audio Out) in the software. The most common reason to have audio coming out of Pro Tools is to go to speakers or headphones.

3. Instrument (Midi Input)

MIDI input allows Pro tools to know when you are playing on a MIDI device, like a keyboard controller, or drum pads.

4. Instrument (Midi Output)

MIDI Output allows pro tools to send instructions to a MIDI device. These can be actual keyboard instruments or sound modules in your studio, or they can be virtual, like BOOM! the built-in drum machine in Pro tools.

5. Inserts

This is a place where you can put an effect, like a reverb. You 'insert' the effect between the input and the output and it changes the sound of the material.

6. Sends

A way to take signal from one place and 'send' it to another. Usually it's to send signal to another track like an 'aux' -

7. Audio/Aux/Midi/Instrument Tracks

Audio tracks are 'containers' that you record and keep audio in.

AUX tracks are tracks that do not have audio themselves, but that route audio and possibly effect audio somehow.

MIDI tracks are containers for MIDI information. MIDI information is like sheet music. It does not make any sound on it's own, but is the directions for MIDI instruments, like sheet music is for real instruments.

Instrument tracks are for Virtual Instruments like BOOM and Vacuum. They can be used to make music entirely in Pro Tools.

Thanks (Start with simple explanation first )
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Promixr, Thank a bunch,
this was exactly what I was looking for. Just to get me started....
Thanks for other reply aswell, will check those vids.