Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 09:49 AM

Default 6.7 upgrade policy

I bought an Mbox on 9/15 and now I have to pay $75 for the 6.7 upgrade. I just spoke to a customer service representative who said he agreed with my frustration and encouraged me to send an email to them at [email protected] expressing my displeasure. I just sent my email and I encourage everyone else with a similar concern to send an email also.
This is a very customer unfriendly policy, and companies very often forget who got them "there."
Hopefully, Digi will reconsider this policy.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: 6.7 upgrade policy

Done... Bought my 002R on August 20th.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:15 AM

I send us an email. I baught september 9 a mBox factory and september 20 (!) a digi 002 r and i dont want to pay 150$ to be up to date after less than one month buy... this is not correct.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 AM

just sent the following

Dear Digidesign:
I purchased my Digi002R on 9/21/2004 and therefore am not qualified for the free upgrade for 6.7 (by 4 days). I have been a loyal Protool user for almost a year now with my Mbox and have always thought very highly of your company. However, forcing customers who bought your products only ONE MONTH prior to this new release to pay $75 for an upgrade is unreasonable, especially since there was no prior warning of this release or upgrade policy.
Your customers have paid more money for your hardware interfaces compared to the numerous affordable quality interfaces/softwares alternatives on the market, because they believe the Pro Tools platform is the best. After this sizeable investment, the hardware forces users to continue using your software. It is unfair to extort more money from these customers for simple upgrades, without at least a more reasonable grace period.
There are many alternatives in both the professional and home recording market besides Digidesign, I hope this letter along with the numerous other you will be receiving will serve to remind you of that.
Sincerely,
Michael Li
Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 PM

I urge others who've recently purchased digi hardware to follow suit in politely (that being the key word here folks) expressing their views to digidesign on this.
People who registered 6.1 can still upgrade to 6.4 for free.
Yet, after purchasing my 002 less than six months ago, I have to pay $75? This isn't what I expected.

J.D
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
...When I decided on Digi almost 4 years ago with a DigiOO1, I was guaranteed!... the next version, which did not come out for MAC for another 11-1/2 months! The WindowsXP was a month later. Digi and I worked this out and I received the free upgrade as promised by my dealer. This was from v5.3.1 to 6.0.

Within the past year I have upgraded the OO1 to an 002 and purchased an MBox. One came with 6.1 and the other with 6.4.

OBVIOUSLY POLICY HAS QUIETLY CHANGED!!! ...and it blindsided me as it has others.

I'm not even asking for a version update (in software lingo, point releases are considered minor updates usually bug fixes and enhancements to existing functionality. A point release is what 6.7 is from 6.4. Version updates is like V6.x to V7.0. Why was 5.x to 6.x covered with my hardware purchase for a whole year? Was it a one time policy )...
From Simple Nature Spirit in this thread
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 PM

I think the guys at Digi are getting a little strange when it comes to marketing.

Most of v6.7 is merely a 'cleanup' and enhancement to things we already have.
Midi needed to be enhanced to stay up with other packages out there.
This makes v6.7 a valid point release and should be covered under warranties with upgrades for the first year.

But, in their infinite wisdom, Digi also decided to throw in a new capability. We often buy these as plugins, but Digi made it part of the actual base product. It seems to me Digi is not making the expected income from DigiDesign plugins and therefor are passing it on in updates. I'm sure they are trying to justify their expense for M-Audio also. LE is merely a subset of the TDM package. There is no justification for this added expense due to software development to PTLE users.

This is just not right. If I need to pay for beat detective, fine, I will pass, but as for getting all these 6.4 bugs fixed, I expect this as a maintenance upgrade for my 1 year warrantee with upgrades.

IMHO
Old 10-28-2004, 01:28 PM

My opinion is free upgrades for warrenty period.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:

This is just not right. If I need to pay for beat detective, fine, I will pass, but as for getting all these 6.4 bugs fixed, I expect this as a maintenance upgrade for my 1 year warrantee with upgrades.

IMHO
Especially when since Beat Detective LE is about 90% less useful since they took out the multiple track capability. That really irks me that they purposely disable stuff. I mean not giving me this stuff in LE ain't gonna make me want to shell out the tens of thousands of bucks to get TDM. There's many inherent advantages to TDM, they don't need to keep cripple LE anymore than it is by being host based.

Quote:

My opinion is free upgrades for warrenty period

AMEN
Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 PM

All this belly aching about a 75.00 upgrade?
To me, it's money well spent.
I mean, if they give it away to everyone who owns a damned Mbox, or has had an 001 for 4 years, who pays for the r and d?

Maybe John Kerry will straighten them out if he steals..er, I mean WINS the election.

Here's my letter to Digi.

Dear Digi-

Great news about version 6.7. Here's my $75.00. Keep up the good work.

E.J.