Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Default Why crossgrade to Pro tools 10????

well hello..

As a customer i need from avid to explain some things !
First of all i bought Eleven rack from a greek shop for 930 euros !
i've been using pro tools le on my mac pro that i bought 2000 euros !
3 days ago my mac had some serious issues with logicboard and cpu and apple told me that the cost of repairing was gonna be more than 1000 euros !
So i decided to buy a new mac mini i7 for 900 euros
mac mini comes with mountain lion 10.8 and there is no way to downgrade it to snow leopard...
and after all this money i had to spend here comes avid to suggest me to upgrade to pro tools 10 for 370 euros !
well thats not going to happen...
anyways explain to me why shouldnt avid make pt 8 to work with mountain lion ! there are too many ppl that cant use pro tools anymore and dont have the money to afford the crossgrade !
Please i need an answer - a fix or whatever!
sorry for my english i do my best !
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Why crossgrade to Pro tools 10????

Welcome to the DUC. Your English is fine. I understand your frustration, but its really not Avid's fault that Apple chooses to change their OS every 6 months, as well as making it impossible to roll back the OS. In their zeal to look toward the future, they tend to ignore the past. Sadly there are not many options for you other than updating to 10.3.3 or trying some other(cheaper) software options(like Reaper) and use the 11R as a great guitar box(which it is) and hopefully as a working Core Audio device. Just my own observation, but I feel 10 is a really worthwhile update(having started on LE6 and using every version in between).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Another option might be to buy an ilok asset of PT 9 Although it's technically not qualified to run on Mountain lion I am running it just fine
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 AM

tha past two day i've been reading posts how to make pt 8 to work with mountain lion ! None of those people can make it work properly !
i've updated to 8.05 and pro tools work but without any libraries and presets on effects !
Apple is a company that work with thousands of programs and 3d party apps!
So i dint think that its apple's fault!
Avid is the best in sound production with thousands customers !
with all those customers Avid is the one who had to make updates and make any pro tools work with mountain lion ! i mean seriously??? not one avid's angineer could not make changes to the installer???
anyways economy now in greece is worst than we thought!
the economy in greece can compared to the world war 2!!
So No i dont have the money to crossgrade to pro tools 10 as i dont have a job 2 years now!
recording music in a home studio is my life ! ii've been using pro tools since 2008 so its really impossible for me to use a different daw !
i mean come on Avid ! make an update for poor people ...
you dont need our money ! you have many customers who can afford to buy the upgrade..We CANT...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

also 4 of my friends went from pro tools to Cubase and logic because they had the same problem with me ! i suppose that happens a lot since mountain lion worldwide !
Is the solution to change Daw or Avid to make changes???
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 AM

I understand your frustration but...

Avid has the responsibility to offer a product that is as stable as possible, it wouldn't be able to do this if it had to release a new versions every six months because apple says so. It's also not Avid's responsibility if users upgrade their os or buy a new machine without checking first if the current os on that machine is compatible. we're not talking of a app here, we're talking of a very old base code program that dates back to 20 years with add ons, and duct tape patches to give new options to users that was never intended in the first draw of the program back 20 years ago. So there's limitation on how fast the writing team can work on compatibility, even more so that they are currently busy working on rewriting the program completely.

So your choices are,
get pt 10 which will be much better than what you were using. OR
Get an other machine and sell the one you have OR
Move on to an other program, which might not be as good but is always an option.

Chose and live with the choice, but no amount of complaining will make it so that a 5 years old version of pro tools is not working with the current os of apple, when their current version of Pro tools 10 does. Avid is a company and as such it's normal that they do sell newer products.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 AM

well i understand what you say but its not an option for me to buy pt10 or sell my new mac ! it will drop imidiatly 20% of the original price!
I am not angry but dissapointed !
i suppose i didnt did good research before bying the new mac !
anways i've upgraded to 8.5 and it seems to work but not full function !
yesterday i've dowloaded the trial version of pro tools 10 and this fixed my virtual instruments ! i still cant get effects presets and other plugins !
3 days now and after many hours of reading posts in forum dont have a clue if will ever be an updated pro tools 8 for mountain lion !
thanx everyone for reading my post and hope smthing like this never happens to you !
cheers !
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoupikou View Post
well i understand what you say but its not an option for me to buy pt10 or sell my new mac ! it will drop imidiatly 20% of the original price!
I am not angry but dissapointed !
i suppose i didnt did good research before bying the new mac !
anways i've upgraded to 8.5 and it seems to work but not full function !
yesterday i've dowloaded the trial version of pro tools 10 and this fixed my virtual instruments ! i still cant get effects presets and other plugins !
3 days now and after many hours of reading posts in forum dont have a clue if will ever be an updated pro tools 8 for mountain lion !
thanx everyone for reading my post and hope smthing like this never happens to you !
cheers !
The likelihood of them releasing an update to pt 8 (the last update was in 2011) is 0. But I could be wrong

Wave-T.com
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Not wanting to shatter your misconception but its Apple that keeps breaking the installers. Avid only qualifies Pro Tools to work with whatever OS is current when that version is released. Apple is also the king of deliberately locking out older hardware and not back back porting software. So lay the blame where it should lie.

On the other hand I installed a PT 5x era program on Win7 64 the other day and it worked just fine. Go figure.

There are both good things and bad things about the march of technology. One of them is that compatibility can be broke depending on how a company implements change.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The likelihood of them releasing an update to pt 8 (the last update was in 2011) is 0. But I could be wrong
Correcto-mundo !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.