Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-04-2001, 11:54 AM

Default Any MPC users here?

Hi.
I guess i just wanted to know if anyone else here uses an mpc to sequence their midi parts & then intergrate them with ptle or logic.
I know most people use software midi sequencers but im an avid fan of hardware sequencers purely for the timing issues.(I also happen to like the groove the mpc3000 gives me)

I sequence all of my midi on an mpc 3000le, then i record all the parts into the 001 & edit in audio on ptle.
Does anyone else work like this i would really like to know? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2001, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Any MPC users here?

I got the 2000xl. I use the sequencers in paralel. When I push play on the MPc Pt starts at whatever measure the the MPC is on. If I push the space bar on PT the MPC shuttles to the measure # the cursur is on, and starts the the MPC at that measure. The timing is perfect I have never had a problem. Set up a midi beat clock sync. using the midi input output A use the midi jacks on the 001 not any other interface. I think this is the best way to work with the 2.
peace
Old 09-04-2001, 12:43 PM

I definety use the MPC for all the foundations of my programming. I use the mpc 3000 beacause of its timing & quickness to get a groove going, but mainly because most software sequencers i've used just feel too stiff for me.
Once my basic groove is done I dump the audio tracks into my 001 in sync, via MTC from LE into my mpc's midi in & I set the mpc 3000 to mtc sync input. This method works great & with the correct tempo in LE, you can see you bars & beats on the screen.
I can now add new part to either the mpc or usually just straight to protools. This allows me to take my session to the big studio where I use a tdm system & have access to all the additional features & more available tracks of protools. I can even dump my protools session to 2" & sync my mpc 3000 directly to the 2". But it seems these days, the 2" are being used less & less thanks to hard disk systems.
I hope this info helps you out & lets you know that the mpc is still widely used, & in terms of hip hop & r&b records being made today, it IS the king of sequencing.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:48 PM

I definety use the MPC for all the foundations of my programming. I use the mpc 3000 beacause of its timing & quickness to get a groove going, but mainly because most software sequencers i've used just feel too stiff for me.
Once my basic groove is done I dump the audio tracks into my 001 in sync, via MTC from LE into my mpc's midi in & I set the mpc 3000 to mtc sync input. This method works great & with the correct tempo in LE, you can see you bars & beats on the screen.
I can now add new part to either the mpc or usually just straight to protools. This allows me to take my session to the big studio where I use a tdm system & have access to all the additional features & more available tracks of protools. I can even dump my protools session to 2" & sync my mpc 3000 directly to the 2". But it seems these days, the 2" are being used less & less thanks to hard disk systems.
I hope this info helps you out & lets you know that the mpc is still widely used, & in terms of hip hop & r&b records being made today, it IS the king of sequencing.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:58 PM

I'm using a similar setup with my Roland MC-307 groovebox sequencer. However, I've been using PTle to sequence and the 307 as a sound module. I can setup a pattern on the 307 with all of the settings ( instruments, drumkits, reverb, delay, etc) and use PTle to send midi commands. The advantage I've found is that I can use the pencil tools in PTle to set things like random values for hi-hat velocities and can see the drum patterns in the edit window right along with the audio. The only problem I have is I love the quanitized groove functions of the 307. Does anybody know a way to do this in PTLE? I assume that it would have to be set on the PTLE side of things because the 307 is only responding to midi messages it is receiving. Of course this is the sort of nitpicking my engineer would be responsible for if I ever get signed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2001, 03:19 PM

Don't trade your 3000 for a 2000xl! The 2000 series was not made by Roger Linn, and there are notable differences. "You get what you pay for" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2001, 03:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dopamine:
Don't trade your 3000 for a 2000xl! The 2000 series was not made by Roger Linn, and there are notable differences. "You get what you pay for" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MPC2000XL does have some cool features that the 3000 doesn't have, like "undo", which I find to be invaluable. It also has better sound management, with the folders and all. There's a couple other things, too. When I talked to Akai support, they told me to go with the 2000XL because of all the new features that the 3000 doesn't offer. At the end of the day, you really have to see what works better for you...

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: naman ]
Old 09-04-2001, 07:27 PM

the mpc 3000 has a better sound engine than the 2000 a little warmer and crisper it has to do with the converters the 2000 filters a lttle better than the 3k but in a side by side show down I bought a 3k le.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:29 AM

Nice to see others on the same tip!

yo carlos,
when you say you sync via mtc ,is this the same as midi beat clock because thats the only way i know how to sync?
Is mtc better than midi beat clock?
Also what are your thoughts on the mpc2000 xl ,can it be as good as the 3000?I do love the 3000 but im thinking fo trading it for the xl to free up some money for plugins...maybe.
Im also just now getting into logic for editing audio as it provides me with more plugins than ptle + i dont have access to a tdm system so i guess for now im gonna take advantage of both by importing & exporting between both logic/ptle.
sorry to go off the subject here

Anyhow keep these posts going im glad the mpc still plays a major role in the todays digital studios [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2001, 08:07 AM

the only differences I was told about was the AD converters are warmer on the MPC which I never use I sample in PT then export. also, All of the functions such as mixer and all of that have actual dedicated keys so you dont have to push shift. I have actually always heard much better things about the MPC 2000xl. But I would keep the 3k if you have it. But ill trade you if you want.

Does anybody use the fx board for the MPC series. I think it comes standard on the 3k. What do you think about the effects are they good. is the distortion usefull. reverb. I have been trying to get some user comments on this unit for a while but have come up short.
peace