Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-01-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Apple has bought Emagic

I do some work for a production house that owns two Avid Symphony's. They were all a bit nervous when Final Cut Pro hit the floor and everyone else was raging about it. We also tried using FCP for some of our work and it was great after we trouble shot all the issues we had to deal with and also the problems with getting it to the broadcast quality/levels and out the door for television.
If I did a project in FCP I would have to always put it into the symphonys before it went to tape (extra time which = money)...
FCP is a great app and has great advantages for both pros and consumers...

However, my point is....Avid is still running strong. No matter how open of a mind we had, we haven't switched out the Avid Symphony's. Avid also released Avid Express for the Mac (a DV version only).
If I'm working on something at home, maybe I'll use Final Cut to work on something...

So if Digi keeps playing it's cards right, it's customers won't go anywhere and Apple will want to be compatible with Digi, because people will move to the NT or XP platform if they don't.

It seems like Apple needs to focus on getting out some heavier weight machines than acquiring software(with very little hardware) companies.

And as far as Nuendo, I agree with a earlier post...they are the ones that need to be a little nervous. From all I keep hearing I thought Nuendo would turn into Digi's competitor for market place to SOME extent....I really doubt that will be the case anymore.

I just bought a hd system and I got nervous for about 20 seconds before I realized that Digi won't be affected as much as we sometimes think.

Do you think this will make dedicated (native) Logic users mad?!?!
Old 07-01-2002, 10:31 AM

Wow, what a big goof for Apple. All they really needed was to hire the old engineers from Opcode, who developed the defacto midi standard for the Mac - OMS. Now they've got a full blown music software company to run, at a time when their full attention should be devoted to their core business of building computers and nailing down OS X.

And come on, Logic?!? Of all the music software out there, this is the LEAST intuitive, un-Mac like piece of Teutonic coding I've ever run across. I've used them all, and always came back to MOTU because they've always supported the Mac exclusively and consistantly developed great interface elements that enhanced, rather than detracted from the Mac paradigm. This is one more case of a slap in the face from Apple to one of their most loyal developers.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:57 AM

I was surprised by this too.

But, I'm glad apple is gonna get things moving in the audio market for OS X.

It's wake up time! and Apple's playing hardball..and throwing the ball right at the batters head.

But, I personally believe that all this "will" be good for Digi.

It has been and will remain a good choice to supplement PT with something that does better midi/composition and has good support for softsynths/samplers....and in that regard..Logic has been..and will remain a good choice.

Esp considering that they will become even MORE integrated under OS X..sharing core audio and midi services.

I certainly want to move forward...and the only app I have left that won't run in X is the audio side of things. Even MOTU...mac only...is still developing in OS 9..with no timeline to X. At least Digi has acknowledged their working hard on it.

It's interesting that things suddenly started to "move" a few months back (even though I know Digi has been working on OS X a long time before that). But, the race is on now.

And I would assume...that this purchase of emagic..has been in the works for quite sometime. I mean...this kind of thing doesn't happen over a weekend with a few phone calls. I would guess..there were some rumors about it...for some time back..at the developer level.

So, were' moving forward now.

Like I said...I don't think this will hurt Digi/Mac at all...but...make it even stronger. Perhaps...finally....some of these developers in the audio market will start taking optimizations for the mac seriously in their software.

Unfortuneatley, this also means the loss of a product choice on the PC side. I know that a lot of users in Europe...use PC...and Logic is quite popular. So, I guess that's good news for Cubase/Nuendo...AND..Digi LE products too!

So, I can't see how this would be bad for Digi on either side. Digi will pick up some of the logic users for LE products...and perhaps..even TDM. The only thing hurting them there is their lack of midi development.

But, even then...Cubase..etc..might pick up the ball..and see an opportunity to make better compatiblity with PT ...integration..etc...to sync up the apps.

So, from any direction I can see....Digi will gain from this...on both the PC and mac side.

Who may get screwed on this would be MOTU...for not having their OS X crap together.

MOTU still hasn't released the 3.1 update for OS 9!. Nor do they have OS X drivers for their audio i/o. That may hurt them at least initially..depending on what happens with logic in the short term.

Anyway...my thoughts.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This is one more case of a slap in the face from Apple to one of their most loyal developers.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder if Apple only courted Emagic.....
Old 07-01-2002, 11:23 AM

Presumably and improvements we see in logic (and we must assume it will improve) will push digi and all other competitors to hold their market position. This can only be a good thing. I feel sorry for the pc users. The cash for a mac is not easy to find for a home/project studio owner, and it is precisely those people that will be hit the hardest. However lets hope that this is offset by some real improvement to the tools of our trade.
J
Old 07-01-2002, 11:33 AM

It would be good idea for Apple at least to give some sort of "deal" for Logic on PC users to "upgrade" to a Mac i think...

...the mob is pretty angry...
Old 07-01-2002, 11:56 AM

I can't help but notice that there is no discussion of this on the Pro Tools TDM for Windows Forum. Curious don't you think?

Peter
Old 07-01-2002, 12:50 PM

I just spoke with my contacts at Emagic here in California and they were just as surprised as we are. They didn't know it was coming. There is no other info that has been given to them (layoffs,etc.) I wish Emagic employees well through this transition.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk1 8x8
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 16x16 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Pro Tools and Mac Consulting
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:57 PM

PDupre wrote:

Quote:
Nope, I didn't read the release carefully. This move defies Logic (pun intended). How do you just cut 35% of your revenue? Does Apple really think that users are going to trash their PCs and run out and buy a MAC? The biggest beneficiary of this strategy will be Nuendo.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Emagic is primarily a software company. They don't have vigorous sales of audio hardware (like Digidesign and MOTU) to subsidize their software production.

I think it's highly possible that the handwriting was on the wall, and this was Emagic's out.

Look at the numbers. The *paid* user base of Logic was 35% Windows and 65% Mac. Emagic has really made a valliant effort to achieve feature parity between the two versions, and the PC version has been a strong contender for some time now. The computer market, however, is 95% PC and 5% Mac. By now, why hasn't the PC side of Emagic's business far outstripped the Mac side?

I think the pirates were doing Emagic in. The sale to Apple had to be a fairly recent desision. Otherwise, why would they have gone through the trouble and expense of creating version 5 for PC, too? I think Emagic was keeping its fingers crossed that its new XSKey copy protection was going to ensure that they were actually selling copies to the huge PC user base that's actually using the product. I've heard reports, however, that the XSKey for the PC was cracked (supposedly not the Mac version, yet).

Emagic employees participate in the various user groups, and isn't hard to detect that they've been extremely frustrated about trying to protect their intellectual property.

It's highly possible that they could see no light at the end of the tunnel, and since they don't have the audio hardware sales to prop things up, it didn't make sense to continue. I'm sure they've been able to track the effect that cracks have had on PC product sales of version 5.0.

Given that there's apparently to way to stop the piracy, the alliance with Apple makes a lot of sense. There will most likely be a free version of Logic (a la iPhoto, iMovie, etc.) that comes with OS X. As part of Apple, Emagic will be able to devise copy protection that integrates with the OS, giving them a fighting chance against thieves.

I'm also convinced that Apple will make a big deal of having Emagic on board, making it one of their showpiece attractions like Final Cut Pro. To truly be a showpiece, gotta-have-it application for Apple, it needs to be ONLY available for the Mac.

Rather than hurting its business, I believe this acquisition will help Emagic survive.

I am hoping that Apple throws a big, juicy bone to owners of the Windows version. Perhaps a free upgrade to the Mac version, with some (or all) of Emagic's current plug-ins thrown in for good measure.

Lee Blaske
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 PM

Could it mean Digidesign and Apple are at odds? DIGI recently released a xp version giving its pc users 8 additional tracks nothing for mac. OSX support non existant native power on the rise could this be the writing on the wall.