Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Free Crossgrade From PT Academic Software to PT M-Powere

Wait one... Is that why I've lost my timecode display?

Dang it! So this isn't an "upgrade" from the academic version, its a removal of features. Joy. Is there any way to get my timecode back?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Is there any way to get my timecode back?
You would need to purchase an LE system (003, 003R, one of the mBox products, etc) as well as the DV Toolkit option.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 AM

So Digi has figured out a way of siphoning even MORE money away from the students that don't have any to begin with, under the guise of an "upgrade" huh?

Genius. Sheer genius. They are to be commended for being more evil than the RIAA.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Ok thx, and if I update my license to pt 7.4 on iLok, will I still be able to run pro tools ACADEMIC 7.3?
I also want to know that!
I´ve email digidesign almost two weeks ago, and I didn´t
got any answer.

My idea its to run a dual-boot system with 7.3 and 7.4
I can not loose the SMPTE display, so I have to keep both versions.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Is there any way to have both 7.3 Academic and 7.4 on the same machine without having to resort to a dual boot situation? I would like to keep both handy, 7.3 when I need timecode and 7.4 for everything else. I have both a Windows laptop machine and a Mac-Intel Imac. I would really like to know if this is possible (or advisable) without having to get too involved in dual boots/partitions etc. Of course, I would never attempt running 7.3 and 7.4 simultaneously.

Thanks for any help.

Evan
Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM

I haven't tried loading both into different directories, but I DO know that if you do the "crossgrade" (downgrade b/c you lose timecode) that you WILL retain the Ilok authorization for the 7.3 Academic version. Thats what I'm using right this second, and will continue to use until either an SMTPE timecode display becomes available again, (b/c Digi pulled it's head out of its collective arse) or I am forced to use 7.4.

Predatory nickle-and-diming like this is only serving to irritate the students that will soon be the professionals making purchase recommendations and producing content with your software. Or, producing content with competing products that offer more features for less money (better for the beancounters that would be buying that software) b/c the student didn't have access to the features to learn on them and get used to them in a Digi product.

Digi, you are shooting yourselves in the foot here. Give the students back their access to all the features they had before, at a reasonable price point, or you may find your market share falling to the likes of SoundTrack Pro.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Predatory nickle-and-diming like this is only serving to irritate the students that will soon be the professionals making purchase recommendations and producing content with your software.
i always get a kick out of these types of threads.

as if digidesign has to do ANYTHING for ANYONE in this world.

do you realise that if you go to any PROFESSIONAL studio in the world, that they run (drum roll please):
Pro Tools HD.

do you realise that in every major concert hall (think: carnegie hall, madison square garden, ozzfest, rush, gogo dolls, etc.) - they are running (drum roll please):
Digidesign VENUE

any serious studio that needs to operate in the REAL WORLD, will in fact have to at some point, cave into the software of choice by PROFESSIONALS.

so enjoy SONAR or whatever else you choose - talk about it how great it is, and why it's better.

but at the end of the day, i'm sticking with the most COMPATIBLE choice, run in every MAJOR studio on this earth - because my mix has to be taken from home studio to professional one - and then onto the actual concert - without issues and concerns.

are you making the "connection" here?

why would you use anything else?

the software of choice is CLEAR - either use it, or deal with incompatibility.

but use whatever works best for you; because if it makes you happy, then that's what you should be using.

just remember, it's Digidesign's software - they own it, and they can do whatever they want with it - in fact, they always have - even back when it was called "Session 8".

Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:

i always get a kick out of these types of threads.

as if digidesign has to do ANYTHING for ANYONE in this world.

do you realise that if you go to any PROFESSIONAL studio in the world, that they run (drum roll please):
Pro Tools HD.

do you realise that in every major concert hall (think: carnegie hall, madison square garden, ozzfest, rush, gogo dolls, etc.) - they are running (drum roll please):
Digidesign VENUE

any serious studio that needs to operate in the REAL WORLD, will in fact have to at some point, cave into the software of choice by PROFESSIONALS.

so enjoy SONAR or whatever else you choose - talk about it how great it is, and why it's better.

but at the end of the day, i'm sticking with the most COMPATIBLE choice, run in every MAJOR studio on this earth - because my mix has to be taken from home studio to professional one - and then onto the actual concert - without issues and concerns.

are you making the "connection" here?

why would you use anything else?

the software of choice is CLEAR - either use it, or deal with incompatibility.

but use whatever works best for you; because if it makes you happy, then that's what you should be using.

just remember, it's Digidesign's software - they own it, and they can do whatever they want with it - in fact, they always have - even back when it was called "Session 8".

I feel this thread would do better without your kiss-ass comments. Digi have not updated Academic 7.3, instead it appears that those students/colleges etc that purchased this software, are going to have to pay a hell of a lot of extra cash to get SMPTE display.

At least windows users will be able to run 7.3, AFAIK 7.3 will not run on Mac OS 10.5, making Academic 7.3 a useless purchase for many Mac users.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
[Massive kissy sounds directed at Digi's arse]

Wow... All that was very profound. Maybe since you've been inside "every" show house in the world, you can tell me why most of them are loathe to toss the boards they already spent 75 grand or more on, for the Venue that only just came out? Could it be the COST versus only a "potential" perceived benefit?

I have personally toured each of the show houses in Las Vegas. If anyplace would want all the options and toys that the Venue can offer, it's in Vegas with all the hoopla they put into their shows. How many Digi products did I see?

Not a one. Every house, and I MEAN *Every* house was using the Matrix3 from LCS. It's an awesome system that has lots of options for its control surfaces, and all the hardware talks via ethernet... Just like some familiar products we know. Its ALSO a huge investment, and not one that they are going to just toss, b/c Digi came out with a new upgrade that does the same thing, but has less features in the software unless you pay a lot more. Thats not an upgrade.

Enough bickering about that. My original point still stands: I am a graduate student, in a program filled with Sound Design grads and undergrads that are all using Digi products. The department just got done installing an ICON system in our redesigned studio, at a cost of more than $1 million. We have over 40 students fighting for time on just 2 surround sound stations, but those stations have not substantially changed (for hardware) in a number of years. Yes, they are HD systems. Yes, we have access to HD systems. We also have access to a massive number of plugins, purchased by the school *WITH OUR INPUT AND DESIRE TO USE THEM* so there is not a waste of money.

Most of our editing is done on LE systems, using 002 (soon to be 003) rack systems. We have lots of those.

So we are well known to the fine folks at Digi. I'm sure if any of their engineers read this, they will be able to easily figure out who we are. We own one of the last 3 ProControl systems that was sold, and it's still in the shrinkwrap for safekeeping.

That said, the students like to be able to work on their own equipment, and continue working on projects on their own time. To do that, we need something affordable that offers a primary function that allows us to work on the student films: timecode. It's not a huge thing that we will be able to keep using the academic version forever, unless somehow somewhere, there is also an HD system available for the more advanced plugins and such. But as students, we cannot afford school AND keep shovelling money at a company for ever more expensive hardware, when you *must* have that hardware just to activate the *same* program you already have, with only one more feature for that cost.

Its not economical. I won't know until January what the opinion of my fellow students is about this "upgrade" but I suspect they will have a similar view that I do: 7.4 is nice, but SMTPE is more important than elastic audio, especially when there are plugins that can do the same job and don't require buying all new LE stuff for the same m-audio / LE experience, but at a MUCH higher cost.