Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Merge Multiple Pro Tools Sessions

Hello everybody, I tried to find something suited to my needs in the DUC but failed. If this topic has already been covered in detail, please close this thread and redirect me to the correct one (and sorry for the waste of your time).

I need to merge two Pro Tools sessions and I have problems. The “Import Session” command works just fine, but I still haven’t figured a way to keep BOTH sessions’ Markers, Tempo and Meter Change.

Let’s make an example: I want to merge “Session A” with “Session B”. I create a whole new session. From inside this new session, I click “Import Session”; then select the tracks I need from “Session A” as well as “Tempo”, “Meter” and “Markers”. Done. No problem.
Then I repeat the process for “Session B”. Here come the problems: all OK with the tracks to be imported, but when I try to import Tempo, Meter and Markers, the old ones are automatically deleted / overwritten! I have tried moving ahead the old data (let’s say 100 measures away) hoping to do the trick, but that didn’t work.

How can I keep both data? I have used *A LOT* of Tempo / Meter changes and Markers in both Sessions, and don’t want to lose them all (well... at least a part of them!)

Thank you in advance

GS
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Merge Multiple Pro Tools Sessions

Yeah, same question here.
I actually want to import marker tempomap information from another session into my current session (with an offset of e.g. 100 bars)
I tried with "import midi" and "spot" mode, but it will delete all other markers and tempo information BEFORE bar100 (?).

Any help very much appreciated, thanks.

Intersound
Old 02-14-2010, 05:16 PM

to the original poster, I don't think this is possible, at least in LE.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM

@ Kirby:

I, too, fear this is the answer.
But I'd be curious to know if this function is implemented in HD.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM

I don't know if this relates to what you are talking about but for years I always wanted Pro Tools to open more than one session at a time so I could drag regions between two or more sessions. Kinda like a "sync" function for what I was doing a few years back. Sonic Solutions did that and saved alot of time when it came to comparing "EDL's"

Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 AM

@ caruso7r:

I didn’t know about the existence of a sequencer by Sonic Solutions. I’m taking for granted that it isn’t compatible with Pro Tools format (in other words, I won’t be able to get past my problem by using it in conjunction with PT).

But yes, the problem is that, basically, Pro Tools still can’t deal with more than one session at the same time. It would be so easy to just drag-drop portions of a session into another. Let’s hope that, in future versions, this will be possible.

Last edited by -GS-; 02-15-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM

Sonic solutions is not a sequencer at all. Strictly audio, no midi what so ever. I guess I didn't read your post well enough.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 AM

No, sorry, my fault, I thought you were talking about a new kind of sequencer by Sonic Solutions which allowed "trans-session" copying/pasting.

I'll just have to come to terms with it... and manually copy all of the tempo / metre changes as well as markers (I should quit writing Polyrhythmic music and stick to 4/4 throughout! Less effort... Meshuggah are to be blamed! )

Thanks
GS
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Response to original post.

Session Data Merge (w tempo markers,etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIzLKzg8tEk