Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-25-2003, 01:51 PM

Default miking techniques

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any great websites that showed good diagrams of drum miking techniques, or for that matter good diagrams of miking techniques for everything. i was experimenting with recording drums the other day with my new digimax lt, and to be honest i wasnt very happy. now, we were half-@ssing it a bit. im sure that was the majority of the problem. we just wanted to throw some mics on there and get a general idea. here is my mic setup for drums. Kick: Audix D6, Snare: Shure SM57, Toms(rack&floor): Shure Beta 98D/S, Overheads: CAD ICM417. I also have a CAD M177 mic that I usually use to record vocals with and use a room mic for drums, but i'm letting a friend borrow it. I could definitely tell that the pre's made a difference. the drums sounded a lot deeper and fuller. for [bleep] and giggles we pulled the resonant head off the kick, put an evans dampener pad that we have in there, and i put the mic in there about 3-6inches away from the beater facing directly at the beater, and i was getting great signal while i was recording but when i listened back, it almost sounded like the kick wasn't even there. so, by now i think u can tell i cant mic drums, lol. so if anyone could help me out that would be great! sorry for the long post. also MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! -eric
Old 12-25-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Re: miking techniques

I haven't recorded drums myself, so I'm basing what I'm saying on what I've read rather than what I've done, but here's a couple ideas;

for starters give an idea of what kind of kit you're using, and more importantly, the room in which you're recording. When people start to chime in with this thread, they'll want to have that info. Also list which mics you have at your disposal, preamps, compressors, etc.

Also, this is a good article. I'd practice using 3 or 4 mics for awhile, and add more as you start getting a sound you like. Using more mics can lead to phase issues, and if you're just getting started, then you won't know if you're hearing phase, or a shortcoming of the mic, or what.

But it sounds like you're experimenting, which is the most important thing. Also do a search on the duc for the topic, you'll find a lot.

good luck, and happy holidays!

bp
Old 12-25-2003, 06:08 PM
rogga_bogga

I think this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

Roger
Old 12-26-2003, 08:04 AM

Heres a good link

http://www3.sympatico.ca/bvaleria/bl...s/9in2days.htm
Old 12-26-2003, 11:51 AM

wow...you guys have been great....awesome links!!! thank you so much.