Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Default Transfuser Tip

Here's a way I've been using Transfuser that I haven't seen mentioned much elsewhere. One of best features of Transfuser is that you can create of up 12 variations for each module you have installed. These can be triggered by assigned midi notes C1, C#1, D1...etc... that's the little keyboard on the lower left of the Transfuser screen. So, try this:

1. Instantiate Transfuser on an PT Instrument track
2. Create separate MIDI tracks underneath that for as many modules as you have active in Transfuser
3. On each module in Transfuser you can assign a MIDI input channel at the top left of the module. Set those.
4. Set the MIDI out of the MIDI tracks to route the MIDI of those tracks to the correct modules.

Now, the fun begins. Solo a module and click on C1 on the bottom right keyboard icon to play the main sequence for that module. Some of the included loops have variations already included. Some don't. Doesn't matter. You can use Mario to create new variations OR just edit the sequence screen to modify however you wish. To assign the modified sequence to a new MIDI note, just click where it says "copy" by the little keyboard, then click on the note where you want to save it, and then click on "save'. Do this for as many variations of that modules sequence as you wish up to 12 in all.

Now, draw or play in with your midi controller the notes to trigger the sequences in whatever order you wish. This will provide cool variations and take the "loopiness" out of the loops by providing interesting variations. You can also play with the MIDI trigger note lengths...use quarter notes, or half notes instead of whole notes or several measures. this can create interesting stop/stop or even stutter effects if you wish.

So if you have, say, 10 modules, and each has 10 variations, that's 10^10th power possible combinations. More than you could ever explore in a lifetime!

Using the MIDI tracks to trigger the modules this way gives you a lot more control over the entire sequence and when parts come in and out.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Transfuser Tip

Hi Donald,

I'm new to Transfuser, somewhere on youtube I saw a tutorial from digidesign where you can drag and drop audio from the protools edit window into transfuser...

so far no luck for me...how can I make this happen..

tips are mostly welcome

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
PT11HD
HDX /HD i/o
Magma Thunderbolt 2.0 Chasis 3T
Manley Vari-Mu / MPassive Mastering version
Sonnox bundle / McDsp / FabFilter /
Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
Hi Donald,

I'm new to Transfuser, somewhere on youtube I saw a tutorial from digidesign where you can drag and drop audio from the protools edit window into transfuser...

so far no luck for me...how can I make this happen..

tips are mostly welcome
Hi Jimmy. With Pro Tools 11, the drag and drop directly into the AIR VI's (Transfuser, Structure) is gone. It worked prior because in RTAS they were able to exploit some system problems to make that work. With AAX, that is no longer the case...at least that's how it was all explained in an article I read a while back. With 11, select the clip you want to import into Transfuser (or Structure) and give it a name that makes sense. Right click on the clip name in the clip list on the right side of the edit window in PT and export that clip...probably export as WAV...but that's up to you. I'd suggest you create a separate file on your drive to save these sorts of clips to find them easily later and then save ALL of them in that file as you create them. Once exported and saved, go to Transfuser, browse your hard drive to the file you just created and you should be able to drag and drop it over from the Transfuser list. Rinse and repeat for as many clips as you wish and/or to import into Structure.

I know it seems like a lot of extra steps but remember, AAX is much more stable platform, so losing the immediate drag and drop is not necessarily a negative. Secondly, though, by exporting clips to a file, you begin to build your own little library of clips and don't have to hunt around every time, which in the long run will save you some time.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM

Hi Donald thanks for your reply. Gonna dig into that's upcoming days

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
PT11HD
HDX /HD i/o
Magma Thunderbolt 2.0 Chasis 3T
Manley Vari-Mu / MPassive Mastering version
Sonnox bundle / McDsp / FabFilter /
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Never used transfuser but think I will after this little tutorial thanks Donald :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Never used transfuser but think I will after this little tutorial thanks Donald :)
Careful Raoul - Once you get started, you may not emerge for days! Stockpile some survival food!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Ps
Don't forget that holding shift control lets you assign multiples out from one midi track.
I.e. If all you moded modules on different midi channels although separate clips on separate tracks is more flexible for placements variations.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Ps
Don't forget that holding shift control lets you assign multiples out from one midi track.
I.e. If all you moded modules on different midi channels although separate clips on separate tracks is more flexible for placements variations.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Can you say that in a different way? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM

No so much for changing your nice layout but doubling up sets of 12 or doubling outs to other modules.

Say one MIDI track goes out to Midi Ch 1. If you hold the shift plus control keys you can append/select another midi channel or device.
i.e. Midi track out to Midi ch 1 and 2

This also works for audio outs,
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
No so much for changing your nice layout but doubling up sets of 12 or doubling outs to other modules.

Say one MIDI track goes out to Midi Ch 1. If you hold the shift plus control keys you can append/select another midi channel or device.
i.e. Midi track out to Midi ch 1 and 2

This also works for audio outs,
Right. I kinda thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. Of course doing that provides more variables. I was trying to keep it a bit more simple.