Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 05:17 PM

Default Control 24 vs. ProControl

I've searched for about an hour on this topic, so forgive me if it is out there somewhere.

I would love opinions of people who have spent real time on both the C24 and ProCo that would offer their opinion on which to buy.

I can only afford either a C24 or used Main PC section, no fader packs now.

I've spent equal time on each going from studio to studio, but not enough to know which I'd want to sit in front of each day. Pros and cons with each.

I don't care about asthetics or preamps, so that's out - just plain old functionality.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Peace. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 12-27-2002, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Control 24 vs. ProControl

If the choice is between the C24 and a basic Pro Control, I'd go with the C24. The Pro Control feels better (faders) and has a few more in-depth features (the track select section), but I think for the money you'd rather have the extra faders on the C24. The Pro Control is way better if you have the money to add a couple of fader packs to bring it up to 24 faders, but now you're into major bucks. Just my opinion...

rcm
Old 12-27-2002, 10:04 PM

I agree with trackbytes. I have owned both and I ended up selling the PC because the C24 was more useful to me.

And I think it looks cooler that the base PC especially when housed in an Argosy 90.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:21 PM

Actually I sold my 24 channel Pro Control to buy a C24.

I think it looks cooler and much quicker to work on.

You can reach all 24 faders without moving from the sweet spot.

With the PC you always banked over so it was kind of a waste to have 24 faders.

The PC faders do feel more pro and it has more characters on the scribble scrips but other than that I like the the c24 better.

The c24 master volume is stepped so I bypassed it for my speakers.

I am selling my home C24 which is brand new in the box if you're interested.

[email protected]
Old 12-27-2002, 10:50 PM

Here's something else to weigh-
The ProControl can have the edit pack-If you're going to do surround, it's the way to go...
I use both (PC at Work, C24 at home)
I dig 'em both and agree with tthe other cats who have posted. Just wanted to toss that one out, too.
-Todd A.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

By March 1, I think I'll be the proud owner of a C24!

Huge help!

Peace to all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 AM

If my 2 cents count, I have used both and The C24 is the Ticket for me. I love it, though expansiuon packs and bigger scribble strips would be nice. And yes it does look better.

You won't be disappointed.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:25 PM

the main reason I went with the C24 is that on plugs with alot of info, C24 relays on all 24 strips. I think Pro Control only lays out plug info on 8 strips. ? I find the pres to be handy for just throwing up extra mics for the hell of it.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:37 AM

I've vented about this in other threads about the C24, so forgive the repetition, but I felt this thread needed just a little negativity [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I still find the C24 to be an ergonomic nightmare... I'd like to lop off about 8" from the top to make more space for the computer monitors to be closer ... and .... maybe my contact lenses are in need of a new prescription, but I find the status of the buttons difficult to see at a glance.... I wish the little cutout for the LED's were facing down (towards the operator)....

and ... the scribble strip is just about useless unless you're really disciplined about constraining your track names to 4-letter words or less. In big sessions with sloppy names on the C24, I often select a track in the mix window and then look down at the C24 to find which fader has it's select button lit .... just to find it. . If 6 or 8 character LED's for each channel added $2k to the overall cost, i still think it'd be worth it..

Finally, the monitor section uses pots that lose their L-R tracking balance at lower volumes. ie: if your amps or monitors are hot enough that you're using the CR pot at around the 9-10 o'clock position or below, you could be in for some wonkiness.

Otherwise, it's great ... I love it.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
-dave