Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2015, 05:52 AM

Default Did ya' ever?

Get a session perfect to your ears, almost ready to mix and then, and then! The Pro Tools gremlins attack! I'm ready to throw in the towel! Suddenly, without apparent explanation my almost perfect bass track recorded level diminished to an non audible level! It's still there but hardly shows on the fader,(green) indicator. All the other tracks are ok. So I decide my only recourse, due to limited understanding of this type of problem, is to re record the bass track. Then I remembered! Just go to the region list, find that certain bass track and drag it back in. Four hours later I found one that, although not the same one, I could manipulate it to an acceptable state. Session saved? Not quite! That's when the S--t hit the fan! The recently recovered bass track level shot into the digital distortion level and stays there! I have no idea why. The latter issue, to be fair with Avid/ PT's, is probably my Scarlett 2i4 gasping for it's last breath! Fortunately it's under warranty. Tune in tomorrow when we'll hear Terry say, !xxx$$$MFSB!!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Did ya' ever?

I did, once....but the drugs solved it Back to being serious for a moment(I'm tired after 16 hours of driving......), I do remember having a track go nuts(unfortunately, it was so long ago, I can't remember what the final problem or solution were). If you have AutoSave enabled, you might be able to open an earlier version of the session to find a good bass track. Then go back to the session that was almost done(except for that 'track with an attitude") and use the Import Session Data command to point to the auto-saved version and import THAT bass track into your current session. If it comes in and sounds correct, just make the "bad' track inactive and hide.

As an alternative, open an auto-saved session with a good track, and solo?bounce the track, then drag the audio into your track with the "finished" mix(I have done both of these techniques at least once)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 AM

albee, your a genius! I think I have auto save activated,(prefs., save the last 10 etc.) is that what you are referring to? If so, where in the files are the saved items? I've never done this before. In addition, thanks again for your help after the 16 hrs. of driving. Most wouldn't have bothered!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM

In the session folder, there are 2 sub-folders and Session File Backups is where these auto-saved versions live.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks albee, I'll look there.