Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Retrieving surrendered license

How do I obtain a ProTools 9 license that was surrendered for PT11 upgrade, for use on a separate iLok on an older MacBook? I still have the software discs and registration for PT9
Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Retrieving surrendered license

You don't. That's why it's called surrendering. You give it up to get the discounted upgrade price. Just like you don't get your old car back when you trade it in for a new one.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

True^^ but your iLok should also allow 9(as well as 10 and 11) to run on whatever computer you connect it to

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
True^^ but your iLok should also allow 9(as well as 10 and 11) to run on whatever computer you connect it to
No, anyone who upgrades is in this position. We gave up our PT9 licences to get PT10, and then the PT10 licence to get the PT10+PT11 bundle. So we can no linger run PT9 at all.

The only readon we can still run PT10 is because a licnce for that is specifically included with PT11. The only reason that a licence for PT10 is included is that it is the last version to support RTAS and TDM plugins (and TDM hardware) nd at the time of PT11 launch there were very few AAX plugins released.

Avid has already said that at some point in the future (date not revealed) they will stop including PT10 licemces with newer versions. People buying those won't be able to run PT10 at all.

Similarly, when I traded in my Complete Production Toolkit licence to upgrade to PT11HD I gave up the ability to get CPTK functionslity in ealier versions, such as PT8 on my old G5 Mac.

This contrasts with Steinberg's approach, where new version licences unlock older versions too. Steinberg started using USB elicensers when SX1 came out, and my current Cubase 8 licence still unlocks all vetsions bavk to SC1.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
This contrasts with Steinberg's approach, where new version licences unlock older versions too. Steinberg started using USB elicensers when SX1 came out, and my current Cubase 8 licence still unlocks all vetsions bavk to SC1.
No it doesn't. OP meant he wanted to have separate PT9 license to put into a separate iLok to be able to use separate computer. He needs to buy a 2nd hand separate PT9 license for that.

Steinberg's would mean that if OP upgraded from PT9 to PT11 he would receive a license bundle that has PT9+PT10+PT11 to be used with one computer at a time, but that's not the case with Avid.

I wish it was like that, but apparently it takes too much manual work to assign custom bundles to different individuals, so I kind of understand why they only include two versions in an upgrade bundle (remember, PT8 to PT9 also gave you PT8+PT9 bundle and PT9 to PT10 upgrade gave you PT9+PT10 bundle). The only different approach with PT11 licenses is that every PT11 license has a PT10 license bundled in, no matter whether it's a new or upgraded system.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 PM

(That said; I would surely appreciate it if I had a PT license bundle that has all the HD licenses I've ever bought, starting with PT7.2HD and never skipped an upgrade)
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No it doesn't. OP meant he wanted to have separate PT9 license to put into a separate iLok to be able to use separate computer. He needs to buy a 2nd hand separate PT9 license for that.
JF .... I disagree with your analysis of the OP's intent in the post.

He said .... "How do I obtain a Pro Tools 9 liicence that was surrendered ..."

i.e. How does he get back the one he surrendered. He also thought he'd be able to put it onto another iLok to us on another computer.

I answered the bit about not being able to get it back.

You are correct that the only solution if he needs a PT9 licence is to buy one, and he'll only be able to do that in the 2nd hand market.

Also, the PT8+PT9 bundle must only have been for HD. I didn't have one of those as PT7LE and PT8LE did not use iLok licences. They just checked for the presence of an attached Digidesign interface. The interface acted as the dongle, in effect.

I still run PT8LE on my old G5 Mac. But I no longer have access to the extras I paid for by buying Music Production Toolkit (and then upgrading to Complete Production Toolkit) when using PT8LE because I surrendered the licence to get the PT10+11HD bundle.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 AM

Default Retrieving surrendered license

"...for use on a separate iLok..."
Old 01-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
"...for use on a separate iLok..."
Sorry buddy, but it must be a language problem.

From here it reads that he is adking how to get back the licence he surrendered, which he then wants to use on another iLok.

Otherwise, his question would be .... where do i buy a PT9 licence? I gave up my old one but still wnat to run PT9 on another computer.

Anyway, regardless of which interpretation is correct, the OP now has the answer he needs.

1) He can't get back the licence he surrendered.
2) He would have to buy a licence on the second hand market, if he still has a need for that licence.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM

Answers! You ask a question, all you get is answers!
Seriously guys, thanks for the responses.
JFreak answered the question, I believe, correctly.
But you guys proved why this forum is so valuable.