Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2001, 07:10 PM

Default Pre & Post Metering

Hello all. I'm new to the DUC. New to Digi. Not new to Multi Track Recording, but new to DAW. I'm interested in knowing when to use Pre vs Post Metering. I've checked the archive (which I solemnly promise to always do prior to posting), and I found some info, but I'd like to clarify.

I'm transferring some old stuff that I did on a Tascam 388 into PT LE 5.1 through the 001. On the way in, I set my levels using Pre. On playback, my levels still look good, but when I insert an EQ and set gain levels there , my meters clip. The EQ gain cannot possibly be changing the levels on the disk, because everything is non-destructivr, right? So, should I be using Post metering on playback? Is that the general rule: Pre metering for laying down tracks and Post for mixing on playback? Thanks
Old 07-05-2001, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Pre & Post Metering

You´re simply adding too much gain in the plug-in. That´s why they have meters. If you hit red, back off a bit. The same goes when boosting certain frequencies, boost too much, and red it is ( will sound spectacularly bad ). Pre-metering is an easy way of seeing what you have BEFORE the fader ie. getting max levels before fader-balancing your mix. Remember: subtractive EQ wins over boosting almost every time...
Old 07-06-2001, 05:59 AM

Thanks Kalle74. So even if I switch to Post metering, where I can bring the fader down and out of the red, I still want to make sure that I'm not clipping when I'm in Pre mode.

Is that because the plug-in is an insert that's pre-fader? Are all plug-ins pre-fader?
Old 07-06-2001, 09:31 AM

Yes, you want to be sure of that. All plug-ins are pre excect the ones on master faders. And off you go...
Old 07-07-2001, 04:42 AM

Simply keep in mind the EQs or any insert is a "pre" signal.
The reason the EQs clipped your signal (I assume) is because you took it from the Tascam that already been in high levels (--
-2.0db or something) the best you can do is record the tracks in a lower volume , use the audiosuite gain plugin the decrease it or usew the RTAS plugs Input Controller (like on the EQ the lower the level that's getting into the EQ plug).
Old 07-16-2001, 02:51 PM

Thank you both. That clears it up for me quite well. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]