Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 12:15 PM

Default My Mbox setup..is it good??

Hi Everyone!!

I'm semi-new to the world of Pro Tools and I was wondering if you guys could comment on my setup..wether or not it is good/bad/ugly..etc..

Here's what I got:

Mbox(original) PT LE 6.7
Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop
Intel P4 2.4ghz
chipset(I think) intel 845G Processor to I/O controller
40G Hard Drive
1G RAM

It seems like the more tracks I use..the slower it gets..something about CPU usage which I don't really understand...I'm only using this setup to record guitars/some bass/drum loops(.wav files) I do disable everything in the startup system and my laptop also seems to get hotter than usual..

Any information/comments you guys have would be greatly appreciated in regards to this setup...I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of Pro Tools with what I have to work with..

Thanks so much!!!

Matt
Old 01-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: My Mbox setup..is it good??

Currently I'm a student on a tight student budget. I have a 2year old HP desktop with 512RAM.
It doesn't really work very smove but once you get a better idea of working PT, you could just find your way around things, the most common exaple is: bouncing tracks to free up more CPU and printing effects. I realize that for the while using a low budget PC helps learning more trouble shooting.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: My Mbox setup..is it good??

Hi,

I'm using Pro Tools 6.4 with M box 1 and I only have a 1.7ghz processor and 768MBs of RAM. Your system is at least better than mine is. I also have to deal with a low budget, so I have found some ways to strech my system to make PT run better. You are on the right track with disabling start up programs . Here are some other tips I have learned which help. Set your computer's display settings to adjust for best performance. Also, make sure you are not running any other programs while Pro Tools is running. Adjust your memory usage to system cache, and also adjust your processor's performance for best performance of background services. You can learn how to do these and other things to improve Pro Tools performance on your computer at a site called xpmusic.net or something like that. I'm not sure if I have the link right, but it can be found at the site under education then by searching the "links we like" section.

Hope this helps