How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 AM

Default Upgrade an old second hand HD9

Hello all.

We bought a secondhand HD 9 four years ago. Never bothered with registering it anywhere (neither ilok nor avid).

Now we would like to bring it up to PT HD 10, 11 or 12.
(We really need clip gain)

What do we need to do?

I´m thinking shelling out for the transfer of the licenses to our ilok account, and then buying the upgrade from Avid.

But will this work? Will Avid give us an upgrade if they can pull a HD 9 license from our ilok or do we need to register with them a transfer of ownership and maybe even pay them for the "privilige" of buying second hand some of their gear/software?

I considered simply buying an ilok with a 10 HD license, but if we get a "proper" license registered with Avid then future upgrades will be much easier.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Upgrade an old second hand HD9

I would register the software you have. Then, you can upgrade to PT12.

I went from 9HD to 12HD.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...ArehoC0nHw_wcB
Old 08-05-2015, 08:16 AM

An Avid registration is not required and is not needed for updates and future upgrades on used license assets.
Future paid upgrades will be available from any Avid dealer or avid.com web store
However you must keep your Pro tools ilok license in order to obtain any update or upgrade. All upgrades and updates are ALWAYS tied to ownership of the ilok licenses and have nothing to do with the Avid Registration.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
We bought a secondhand HD 9 four years ago. Never bothered with registering it anywhere (neither ilok nor avid).

Now we would like to bring it up to PT HD 10, 11 or 12.
(We really need clip gain)

What do we need to do?
If you only have an iLok with the HD9 license on it then you will need to track down the seller that sold it to you. You will need to take one of the following actions:
  • Option 1: Provide the seller with your HD9 iLok key along with the $25 license transfer fee and have him/her move the license to your iLok.com account. If the seller is also able to remove this iLok key from his/her account and it's a version 2 iLok, you should be able to reuse it for your personal iLok.com account. If not, you'll need to purchase a new iLok2 (about $50). Finally, pay $599 to upgrade your HD9 license right up to HD12 by purchasing the Support Plan. While this option is okay, you'll really need to be able to trust your seller in order for it to work. However, it may also be the only option that your seller is comfortable with that achieves what you want. Options 2 and 3 below are more convenient and ideal for you than this method.
  • Option 2: Have the seller that sold you that secondhand HD9 license and iLok key give you the iLok.com account that is linked to the HD9 license. Then pay $599 for the HD Support Plan. This option is recommended.
  • Option 3: Ask the seller for temporary access to the iLok.com account associated with your HD9 license so you can transfer the license to your personal iLok.com account. Then, upgrade the license to HD12 by purchasing a Support Plan. This option is recommended.
Quote:
Will Avid give us an upgrade if they can pull a HD 9 license from our ilok
Avid will never "retrieve" a license directly from an iLok USB key or offer you an upgrade just because you have physical possession of the USB key. Actually, Avid is not currently responsible for managing Pro Tools licenses aside from selling them to you. iLok, on the other hand, can do that for you if you're the rightful owner of the iLok.com account that is associated with your iLok USB key. This procedure is typically for retrieving licenses from a damaged iLok USB key, and again, requires you to have access to the associated iLok.com account. The overall policy may seem harsh but it's to address the issue of lost or stolen iLok USB keys.

Quote:
...do we need to register with them a transfer of ownership...
Generally speaking, Avid won't process a Transfer of Ownership for software. If the HD9 license was sold to you with its registered hardware, then you can proceed with a Transfer of Ownership for the entirety of that hardware + software package by contacting the seller that sold you the equipment. There are some minor benefits to having the software registered in your Avid account, but they're not as crucial as having access to the license's iLok.com account.

Quote:
I considered simply buying an ilok with a 10 HD license, but if we get a "proper" license registered with Avid then future upgrades will be much easier.
What's important to know is that the iLok.com account is what is used to determine licensing ownership rights and not the iLok USB key itself. Generally speaking, do not buy a used iLok license if being sold the license on a USB key without access to the associated iLok.com account; especially if you intend to upgrade the license in the future.

In your case you will need to contact the original seller to move forward. Shoot for Option 2 or Option 3 from above. Good luck!

Last edited by seanbil; 08-06-2015 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Updated list of options as promised.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I´m leaning towards option 1.

Just so to be sure: I don´t need a serialnumber for the software when I am upgrading it?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Correct, no serial number needed. You only need the ilok license and make sure it is an ilok2 and not the old green thingy as it wont take PT11/12 licenses and as it s a PT10/12 bundle you cant split up even though PT10 can live on the old ilok. You get both PT10 and PT12 HD when upgrading and that bundle need to be on the same ilok.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 AM

What Southsidemusic said!

Also, it just occurred to me that if you intend to go with Option 1 then it might get tricky if you cannot meet the seller in person. The iLok License Manager software needs access to your HD9 iLok key and the seller's iLok.com account, else the license transfer function will not be available.

If Option 2 is a possibility, then go that route as it'll be the most convenient for you. The next best option is asking the seller for temporary access to the iLok.com account so you can initiate the transfer yourself. If neither is possible, then you'll have to physically deliver/mail your iLok key to the seller. (As I write this, I come to the realization that I need to revise the list of options that I recommended to you in my earlier post. D'oh! ) Regardless, the key to any of this working anyway is cooperation from your seller. So hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 AM

I know the seller, so the transfer won´t be a problem. Thanks so much you guys!