Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Default ILok IRant

I am wondering how many others out there have a problem with ILok?

I do and I would like to encourage Digi to find other means to protect their
products. I feel more penalized than I do appreciated when I have to turn to ILok
to fetch my licenses.

For example after paying the $300 for strike, I must pay another $55.00 (in Japan) for
an ILok to use it. Of course I knew this going in so it wasn't a surprise, however
what I got for my ILok dollars (yen) was. To wit:

1). A lightweight, easily breakable, plastic usb dongle. It obviously was not designed
well because for an extra $6 or $7 you can buy a "dongle buddy" (a short
USB extension cable which can be picked up for $1.50 at computer supply shops)
to prevent it from snapping off in your computer (which it otherwise eventually will).

2). If it does happen to break, one might have to consider shelling out another 30 something
dollars (umm... before it breaks) for their "zero downtime" insurance. Which in the event of loss or breakage of the ILok they will make sure you can get to your licenses right away. Otherwise you may have to wait up to two weeks. Two weeks?! Unless I pay more? Even if it is my unwanted ILok that fails?

I know some other companies also use ILok protection too. But to me, the use of ILok
reflects badly on them all. I suppose it is inevitable that the honest consumers must foot
at least some of the bill for anti-piracy development. But is it too much to ask to not make us deal with a third party for this? One who is not accountable in the same way as the plug-in developers themselves? Why do we need to pay $25 to transfer a license which is usually free when dealing with software manufacturers?

Anyway, perhaps I am off on this. If I am, someone is welcome to try and educate me. However I
must say that if this is the future of software piracy protection, I think it is a definite step backwards. For the consumer anyway.

I would be interested to hear other or similar thoughts.

-syo
Old 09-01-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: ILok IRant

I am not a fan of the iLok system. Pro Tools is just another program, no? It just happens to only work with their stuff. Expensive, proprietary hardware and plugins.

Check out Sonar. It doesn't require a dongle. For anything. And it works with anybody's soundcard hardware. They also have a drummer, Session Drummer 2, included.

Just a thought.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 AM

Hello Sean,

Although I would rather not have to tie up another USB port with a dongle, I am not against them in principle. But to make people pay for the dongle, plus extra for decent service, still more extra to transfer a license sounds more to me like heads in a room muttering things like "business
model" and "ancillary revenue streams". Rather than "what is best for our business AND our customers".

I like Pro Tools and the Digi hardware in general. I am also pretty ignorant of alternatives, experience-wise anyway. I prefer to be loyal to Digi mostly because I am lazy but also because I have enjoyed the experience of using their products. Still, this ILok stuff annoyed me enough to look at the Sonar site. Pretty cool. No Ilok you say?... Hmm...
Old 09-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Having used Pro Tools since before it was even called Pro Tools and having to deal with other types of Copy protection, I have come to the conclusion that the iLok is a very robust and reliable way to protect software from Piracy. Sure I would love to see a metal version (that would look way cool plugged into my G5) but I digress. Systems such as employed by Native Instruments are flawed because they do not allow you to easily transport plugs from one machine to another. I regularly use my laptop for remote work and the iLok is ideal for allowing me to move easily between systems. As far as reliability is concerned the iLoks have been exceedingly good. In the time we have had iLoks (we have 20 of the things) we have only had 1 failure and that was promptly repaired by iLok. The cost of each ilok is minimal and it protects the software publisher and to some exten the user as well. In the bad old days of Kracks for Pro Tools it was not uncommon for us to see a session that used $40,000.00 worth of Kracked plugs and in our studio we were scrupulously legal so we often got stick from the client when we did not have Kracked plugs and could not open sessions, so they would go somewhere else. Now we have a level playing field, and if you need a plug for a few days then you can rent them (not possible pre iLok). So in balance I think the iLok has been very good for the industry. And the price of an iLok is a very small price to pay.
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:32 AM

As a business owner, I have to say that I've been pleased with both the iLok system and the iLok.com portal. While I would like to be rewarded for not using cracks or otherwise buying licenses to all of my software, I have accepted the fact that software companies must protect their IP at all costs. Having said that, my three iLok dongles are installed in a USB hub in my machine room and I rarely have to fuss with them. i purchase the option 'Zero Downtime Protection' for a total of $90/year to purchase some level of piece of mind (at least it buys me time as I will surely have to negotiate with each software vendor).

In all the years of using them, I have only had one problem. One that was fixed immediately by iLok.com support.

Nothing is perfect, but as a business owner that needs to have a reasonable way to track my assets/licenses and assure as close to 100% uptime as I can get, this is a good option.

Again, I'd much rather not have to deal with copy protection at all! But i respect the right of software developers to do so.

My 2 cents....
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM

I cant upgrade until I figure out what my Ilok id is ( from 3 yrs ago!) Im so pissed. ilok has no phone support and this is bad.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM

They have a "Forgot your account name?" link right on the home page. Just enter your email address and they will remind you of your user name.