Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 08:10 PM

Default McDSP - anyone using these plugs?

Hello all,
Does anyone use McDSP plugs, specifically G Channe Native l? Any thoughts on the simulation quality for desktops? Neve, SSL ect.....
Pro Tools Le 7.1 002R
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: McDSP - anyone using these plugs?

I have Analog channel and use it all the time.

They make great plugins and have the best customer service of any plug in company bar none.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:23 AM

Oh yeah!! I have been using their plugs for several years now, however I have just upgraded and purchased all plugs including the
G Channel. So far I have been dissapointed with this piece, maybe I am not applying it correctly or to its full potential. So I thought I would check to see if others have, use it, and maybe there is something I could learn to use it to the full potential. Any input or ideas are welcome!!!

Thanks
Art

I use the AC - CB - FB - MC2000 on almost every track and love love love love them!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 AM

I've been using McDSP plugins since they were introduced.

Specifically you should check out AC1 and AC2, but I also use FB, CB and the MC2000.

I do not own G Channel but plan to demo it.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:12 PM

I had the Emerald package minus the 4000 and sold it on Ebay. I just wasn't able to get it to work for me even though I tried it repeatedly. It almost worked...Filterbank and Compressorbank were ok...JUST ok. I absolutely did not ever get results that I liked from the G Channel.
One side issue: In Compressorbank you can call up specific plugs that emulate specific and spelled out units such as a DBX, etc, but I could never find specific EQ's emulations in Filterbank which was frustrating since they advertise that it can be "every EQ ever made...".

Well, maybe so but it would have been nice if I could have found specific examples.

(I do, of course, realize that I may have just been unable to find something right in front of me...)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM

I use AC1, AC2, CB, FB, and MC2000 and I couldn't be happier. Great for mixing and mastering in the box.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:18 AM

I have McDSP FilterBank, CompressorBank and Channel G.
I use them mostlly as TDM plug-ins but there is no sonic difference (on my opinion) if I use them as RTAS.
FilterBank - is just great sounding, transparent yet versitile EQ. It does take time to get use to it. But there is a reason for this. Sinse they are very phase coherent and work more like analog gear (you cannot have digital clipping with those EQ), you'll need to use it "by the book" like.
When first completed project I did, with McDSP I wanted to compare it to my previous projects where I used allot of Renaisance EQ5 - which were my favorite. The difference was owesom! Renaisance sounded now digitally harsh, colouring and the worst - smearing. Well I have no problem with colouring, cause this is what they are designed for, but I saw how much definition I really missed with them!
Filterbank is really different by its character. It's very accurate in the curves of signal processing. It's clean and feel like real analog stuff.

CompressorBank. I can write about the same positive things I wrote about FB plus one important issue.
If you use CB3 compressot with prefiltering and postfiltering, you might find yourself not using any EQ in the chain at all - just this compressor!
You can adjust a Q factor and gain of the filters. Or you can use dynamic or static EQ which will trigger attack and release time of the compressor. It's like a channel strip without too many controls. Again, compessor is very clean and DSP/CPU light.

Channel G. It makes your mix big! And there is nothing psychilogical here. People without any knowledge in audio noticed the difference. Put it on your master busses and you'll be surprised!
It's 5.1 surround compatible. It's a great channel strip, which is compareable to Waves SSL 4000.
But it's very light on the processor, DSP as well.

Buttom line. There are few engineers who don't like McDSP. But this is because they don't have time or patience to learn how to use them. You can get outstanding sonic results with these plugs.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24